Is the 500Pf sharp when using the 1.4 TCIII?

I tried shooting with the 1.4 TCIII on my new 500PF to see how it would affect images in the real world. The first thing to note that the aperture is F8 so you need lots of light and only some of the AF sensors work at F8 so I stuck to the center most AF points.

First off I shot a female mallard that was swimming about.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#1 500Pf with 1.4TCIII 1/1600 F8 ISO 640

Now at 100%

# 2 same image as above but 100% crop

So how does this compare with the lens without the TC? Below is a 100% crop of a sandhill crane turning an egg.

#3 sandhill crane turning egg. 500PF at 1/1000 F5.6 ISO: 250

The images are straight out of the camera into Lightroom and into PS for cropping no editing or adjustments were done to the images.

The verdict? Yes, the 500Pf is sharp even with the 1.4TCIII attached.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"the D850 is a perfect match for this lens. But bring Band-Aids as the images are that sharp..." Georgie Beagle

I've been experimenting with this as well. I think as long as you have good light and you're not expecting miracles (i.e. hoping the extra 200mm will make that "duck from a mile away shot" usable) then it works pretty well. I've had some good results and some not so good results but the good results tell me that the unsuccessful shots were from my technique or from expecting too much. Definitely the more I use it the more possibilities I can see.

700mm | 1/500 | f/8 | ISO 800

700mm | 1/500 | f/8 | ISO 360

these look great and they make me wanna try the TC
Hi Randy,

Ya, the 1.4TCIII is a good combo with the 500PF. As Georgie says: "I can get great shots of birds across the park without leaving the couch"

You should try it, the focus is slower, more like the 200-500 but still it is good enough for BIF. Big issue is getting the subject in the Viewfinder...

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"a fast shutter is really necessary..." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Yes it also seems to me that the combo is pretty sharp, however the needed ISO starts creeping up, and one can only use more center recticles for focusing. It is definitely and fair weather summer combo, in the winter this wont be a good option here in the PNW.

Here's one more in crummy light with higher ISO at a slightly greater distance. Not great detail on close inspection but considering the light I'm not sure the bare lens would have been THAT much better.

700mm | 1/250 | f/8 | ISO 1100

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom