Is the D1H the best noise performer from Nikon?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Daves602, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I was looking over a review on the D1H in Dpreview the other day and Phil was showing the differences between the D1H and a Canon body. The Nikon was killing the Canon for noise at high ISO. I kept reading the report and wondered if I should buy a pre loved D1H.
    Here are the advantages.
    1. The D1H has a 2.7 meg file on a CCD sensor that is the same size as all of Nikons, ie. 1.5 crop DX.
    2. It shoots 5 frames per second with a 40 frame buffer.
    3. Great auto white balance, according to Phil.
    4. Takes compact flash cards, shooting RAW, I could get say, 1500 images on a 4 gig card?
    5. Super fast post process!
    6. Printing through Smugmug I could get maximum size prints, 40 x 30 inch (they have amazing upsampling).
    Negatives
    1. Small file size is a no go for heavy cropping.
    2. Poor battery life.
    3. Different controls to my old D2h and now D2X.

2. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Having owned/owning, Canon D60, 20D Nikon D1H,D1X,D50,D70,D200. I'll say that the D1H is probably the least noisy in terms of ISO noise.

I've got images at ISO1600 under exposed by -0.7 ev which have less noise than my D200 at ISO 500!

The D1H is the perfect "web cam" and is sharp enough that images can be printed out larger than those i got from the 20D!

My only negative about the D1H, is that the batteries are NI-MH and discharge over time. The file size, and controls i think are fine!

3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Dave,

I had a D1h, now I have a D2Hs. I think the D2Hs is better than the D1h for high ISO, but not by a lot. FTR I shot RAW, I can't speak to the quality of out-of-the-camera JPGs. Still, the D1h is a very good camera and a great deal at current prices. The only reason I don't still have one is the battery, eventually it drove me nuts.

P.S. I don't think D1 cameras will work with cards bigger than 1 GB.

4. Just on the latter point, I use a 2GB CF in my D1H, no issues whatsoever. It lists 'FL' instead of the number of frames remaining. I've decided it stands for F'in Loads. :wink:

5. Thanks for the info James.
    Regarding cards, I still have 4 1 gig cards that I could use and still get close to 400 shots on each. That is a lot of time at the bike track per card and quick to download into my coolwalker if needed.
    Now, the big one, batteries. Has an after market battery been made that lasts longer?
    As for jpeg out of camera, that could be interesting, does any one have a D2HS and a D1H that can show us comparison JPEGS?
    The cost of a second hand D2HS v a second hand D1H is a lot.

6. Hokum, what size prints could your 20D produce?
    Did you under expose for a reason?

7. Dave... Battery Barn has a new 2700mAh En4 battery that should be a good performer.

http://www.batterybarn.com/en4.htm

The previous aftermarket batteries were 2200mAh and were good for around 300-350 shots (no chimpimg)

8. Not a Nikon but the Fuji S5 Pro uses a D200 body and is outstanding at ISO 1600

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I love the D1H mostly for its awesome bw mode. I rarely ever do ANYTHING to the BW files. Here are some of my favorites from a seminar I went to.

[​IMG]

ISO for photos in order
    1-1000
    2-1600
    3-1000
    4-640
    5-6400
    6-320
    7-6400
    8-1600

10. zach, those are some lovely images. i too love the b/w mode on my d80 and rarely modify the images that it spits out. my favorites are 2, 3 and 8. very nice work.

11. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Thanks! Mine are 2,4,8. :)

12. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Well i got nice 12x8's from the 20D but i have nice 15x10's from the D1H!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.