1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the D200 firmware worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Steve S, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I was at the Nikon site looking around, when I saw they came out with v2.0 firmware update for the D200 on Mar 7th 2007. After searching here, I see hardly any discussion of it. Who's installed it, and what do you think of it? Is it a worthwhile update?

2. Steve, My D200 returned from Nikon repair with the upgrade...not sure what it does for the camera.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Mine came with both upgrades. Everything I read says it is worth the trouble.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Anthony & Cope, can you point me to the article?

I'd like to read up on ppl's opinions of the update.

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Steve, I think I saw it on Nikonians, but it may have been on Nikon Cafe. Do a search and see what comes up. As usual, there were some who felt "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but most people recommended the upgrade.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, i'll check the nikonions, but i didn't find anything here. When i read what it did, or was suppose to do, it didn't seem like it applied to me, so i'm of the same philosophy, if it ain't broke....

7. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Version 2.0 has been out since the fall, there was plenty of discussion about it back then. I updated, I like to keep my firmware up to date, but I didn't notice any difference with performance. I'm not sure what the March 7, 2007 date is all about, though, probably just updated the instructions or something.

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    IIRC, version 2 added support for the Wireless Transmitter and Image Authentication.

9. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

Like dsp921 says - the version 2.0 firmware update is from September 2006. Nothing new anymore.

10. I think this updated is different because I updated when the firmware came out and on my camera it was A. 2.00 and B. 1. (something can't recall.) Now the D200 has A. 2.00 and B. 2.00

Anthony

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I bought my D200 in early December and it came loaded with 2.00 for both A and B.

12. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006

It should have been 2.0 for both, maybe you missed the B download or something. I updated in Oct or Nov and I have 2.0 in A and B.

13. I guess I did something wrong...Thanks!

14. Furthermore it changed/fixed the non working AF-On for some Sigma lenses if I remember correctly.

...plus the bunch of other internal bug fixes manufacturers don't tell their clients about. :wink:

Whatever, I don't have any problems so far with version 2.00.

15. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

Once again you and I agree. Mine is also 2.0 or both A and B, done in early October, 2006.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys,

For the life of me, I thought this was a brand new FW update, since it's dated Mar 07 on the Nikon site. I already have the one from last Fall!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.