Is the D50 waterproof?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cotdt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I want to go out in the rain for some shots. Is the D50 waterproof?

2. no it is not. Put a cover of some kind over it and go out and enjoy though

3. No camera is really "waterproof" other than ones designed for it or get a housing.
    Even the truely "Weatherproof" D2/D200s are not going it make it in heavy rain fall.

4. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    no, it is not even weather sealed..

5. eekjem

eekjem Guest

D50

No its not!

6. I wanna take pictures in the rain too but I wouldn't dare take my camera out.

7. I am interested in this also. Are there any other products besides the one listed above.

8. Plastic garbarage bags with a hole for the lens work well!!!

9. chrisnck

chrisnck

Jul 19, 2007
    mass
    No it not as you have heard but you can get a rain cover from ebay kinda cheap

10. chris24net

chris24net Guest

I've done that in a pinch. Doesn't look fancy but works.

11. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Large zip lock bags (you can even Gaffer Tape two together for a zoom), worked well before I got a "rain coat" for my camea.

12. That looks interesting. I might be interested if they're reliable.

13. I have one of those rain covers , not that easy to work with when you want to check the back of the camera in pouring rain . I also tried a cheap plastic poncho with velcro on the lens hood and it gives good 'breathability" to prevent condensation like you get with a garbage bag . I also made this contraption for when I want to be covered as well and have full access to the camera . It's a stacking-chair cover with the closed end cut off , it fits around your waist and gives full access to the camera .
    cover045ch.

14. fixed point

fixed point

Jan 24, 2007
    minneapolis
    Not weather sealed, but I've mine out in heavy rain and snow. It has been completely soaked and I haven't had any problems. I'm probably just lucky though, I don't do it often.

15. schmobie

schmobie Guest

A very cheap plastic raincoat with elastic sleeves (to wrap around the lens). You cut the sleeves then you insert the camera in. This gives you 2 low cost cameras and lens rain protection.