1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the D90 changing the face of photojournalism?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 29, 2008.

1. With the ever increasing demand for both video and still coverage for a diverse global media market, is it possible the D90 is the beginning evolution of a new breed of journalism? In my line of work video is becoming more in demand, with the ability to both will this change up the playing field?

I'm kind of excited about this. It means more work for me, but the possibilities are endless! I'll be able to double my coverage in an instant. Being able to do video, stills and reporting a story with one tool blows my mind! I seriously hope this technology trickles down to the D400/D700/D3X.

The artistic possibilities are also going to be amazing! What do you guys and gals think?

2. My first thought is the limitations on audio (one channel through an on camera mic) as well as the time constraints for recordings might be limitations.

But, you raise a valid point. It might also open up the "amateur" reporters opportunities as well.

Cheers!!

Ken

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    hmm am I missing the fact they make camcorders for this purpose why have this in a DSLR for pro or pro consumer

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    The fact is, nearly ALL newspapers are starting to require videography from their photographers. I was devastated when I was told to shoot video one day...THAT'S NOT MY THING! Well, I'm out of photojournalism now, but the idea of all in one like this just brings a tear to my eye...

Nikon- bringing on the end of Photography. :( 

5. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    Why not. I don't understand what all the griping is about. Being able to take the odd video without dragging an extra camera is a great idea.

Now if Nikon said, "the D90 includes video capability at the expense of hi-ISO, image quality, etc." I'd say the compromise wouldn't be worth it. But there seems to be no compromise on the DSLR side :smile:

Personally, I don't use my video camera much because of all the work involved with editing lengthy movies that no one really wants to watch (at least not more than once). So if I can crank out a 1 or 2 minute clip of my kids skiing, riding a dirt bike, etc. without any extra equipment I'm all for it. I bring my DSLR most places anyway.

6. Hmm, definitely food for thought. I am a freelance photojournalist, and at the moment my paper does not reqire video, but that could always change if they decide to add clips to their webpage. A camera like the D90 might open up new opportunities for me.

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I don't think the D90 video mode appeals to photojournalists but rather indie filmmakers. Journalists don't have training in how to operate a cinema-type camera like the D90, with cut scenes and manual focus at a 16:9 wide aspect ratio.

8. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Most people want to take a camera on holiday, or to an event, to get a decent quality image. Having a camera that that can double as a usable camcorder is a real boon if all you want is a few shot clips of the highlights e.g. John Smith Jr. receiving the school prize etc.

9. Who's to say this type of camera might evolve the photojournalist to be more the videographer and the videographer to become more the photographer. The two are becoming the same. With web content taking over the newspaper, the demand to send stills and video is increasing. While I do grit my teeth at the idea of having to do video, at least the D90 brings video to the conventions of a still-camera. The professional market will have to adapt with the technology. I'm too young to fall behind the times, I'm going jump on this while it's still new! :smile:

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I wonder about this
    it shuts down the video after 5 mins because of heat to the sensor
    with someone who uses the video feature often enough, will this be a problem down the road..?
    certainly for a used purchase ??

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    From what I've heard, the 5 minute limitation is not due to the sensor heating up, but rather due to excessive E.U. import fees for HD camcorders. If the HD recording is less than 5 minutes, then the D90 will not be considered an HD camcorder and therefore avoid the import fees.

12. What I'll say is that this will definitely start a change in some areas. Not just photojournalism, weddings too (maybe, others that we can't see yet). For photographers, videographers and film-makers alike.
    Nikon too, will never be the same again. I'm glad to know that we won't be the ones playing catch-up with this one.

13. Take the time to read up on it. You might be really surprised.

14. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    What's the resolution on the video? I doubt it's even standard definition. I'm a TV PJ and this debate has been going on for quite some time with my friends that are still PJ's.

15. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Full 1280x720 resolution, which is a lot higher than standard def.

16. cobrakai

cobrakai Guest

Here is one thing I thought would be great for photojournalist who shoot red carpet events. Shoot a string of shots and then use movie mode to have the person say their name into the camera. Its like the audio record feature without having to buy a Dx or 1D.

17. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

It's full HD video with the ability to shoot through the Nikon lens of your choice....

This is something that would have cost you more than $5000 just one month ago!

The 5 minute maximum time, however, is limiting.

18. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know

Just a general comment from a non PJ> The mechanics of hand-holding a DSLR and trying to manually focus a long lens doesn't seem like it would work well. This would seem to severely limit the situations in which the video mode would be useful and usable. Still (no pun intended), the D90 is on my list of "to be considered" when I upgrade from my little D40x.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.