Is the Gitzo GT3530LSV worth it? YES!!! (pic added at end)

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by SRA, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I have ordered a nice RRS Ballhead and am looking to purchased the Gitzo 1325 to support it. However, I have found that it has, or is, being replaced by the Gitzo GT3530LSV. Does anyone have any experience with this new piece of hardware? Should I purchase the 1325 before it goes out of stock. Any adivce is again, as with the RRS, very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  2. Scott,
    I do not know about the replacement, but I do know the 1325 is one of the best tripods out there. If you feel it will meet your needs you will not be disapointed by it.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The new models are supposed to be slightly lighter without compromising stability (so says Gitzo), and they have a new leg lock design that is easier/faster to operate.

4. I have the 4-section version - the 3540 (shorter collapsed length so easier to travel with). Gitzo claims an increased weight rating from the old 13xx series but for me, the biggest improvement are the anti-rotation legs. Makes setting up, adjusting, and taking down much easier and quicker.

5. The 1325/1327 is really the de facto standard by which many of us measure a tripod. It's a favorite of pros and amateurs and should stand up to heavy use for many years. I've had my 1327 for several years now and plan to get another. If the new models cause the price of the older ones to decreas by much I think I'd take advantage.

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Thank you all for your comments. This is very helpful. Now I have to decide on a good tripod model height for me. At 5'10" I feel like I am in the middle of the two offered models as one will be two inches too tall with ball and camera and the other two inches too short. Any suggestions are, again, appreciated.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Scott

Hope you are well and happy. Did you ever get those photos of your family at Thanksgiving Point Gardens posted online? I would love to see them.

8. I wrestled with tripod height for quite a while. Trying to trust the numbers I saw on web sites and relating them to my needs was really frustrating.

I know that for any given shot the right height for a tripod is the right height for the shot and figured that a little taller than "ideal" was the answer. I didn't want to develop a permanent slump to accommodate a short tripod and might need one a little taller than ideal for certain shots. I know it can be a pain to set up a tripod shorter than it's full height but, to me, that seems the lesser of 2 evils if you can't get the perfect height. Remember it's a lot easier to shorten a tripod than it is to make a short tripod grow.

9. Keep in mind that many of the better tripods don't have stops on the legs, meaning that, in the case of my 1327, I can have the legs fully extended and spread them a bit farther to bring the tripod with camera and ballhead or Wimberley down to my height (5'10"). It's a bit of plus in my mind as the wider footprint makes it slightly more stable.

10. if you buy the CF center column 1318 you can adjust the height.. i have one... nice feature of the studex is the versatility.. i think B&H sells Gitzo G-1329 ( which is a kit using G-1325 legs and G-1318 carbon fiber center column )

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I am getting ready to sell my (used 2 times) Gitzo 1325, Gitzo leveling base 1321, Op/Tech leg covers, (not selling ball head) and Gitzo Monopod 1588. PM sent with details.

12. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Hi Terri,

I didn't get the photos online yet. Too busy traveling and working. It was great to run into and meet you. What a pleasant surprise. I think some of the finest people I have met have come from this forum.

I will be home next week and will try to get to the tulip festival at Thanksgiving point. I will be shooting a loaner D80 as my D2x is off to Nikon service for several 'hot pixels' that have suddenly appeared.

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Good advice, thank you. I am looking at this option too and have a local store holding one for me right now. This one also gives me some height for shooting over my head shots, allowing me to get under the camera without crouching.

14. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    1MoreFord,

Very clear thinking on this one. Thank you very much. I am going to go with either the 3530 three leg section, or 3540 four leg section. Leaning toward the three leg for more stability, but the four leg is taller I believe.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's always better to have more height than you need, rather than not enough. Also consider you may need some extra extension for those times when you're setting up on a hill, etc.

16. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Scott,

Are you considering a leveling base? If you are, that adds additional height. Did you add for the quick release on the ball head?

I sent you a PM. Did you receive it?

Thanks,

John

17. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Excellent advice from everyone and thank you very much. Once again being of member of this forum has proved to be a great resource and learning center.

And now my decision with a bit of drum roll.....

-RRS BH-55 LS Ballhead
    -RRS BD2 Body plate, (L Plate to come later)
    -Gitzo GT3530LSV Tripod
    -Base Plate FP-300 https://www.photoproshop.com/usa/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/523 (I like having the option of keeping my bag off the ground and ballast for windy days)

gadgetguy11,

Thank you for your kind offer. After I receive my order I will certainly give it serious consideration.

18. paul rieker

paul rieker Guest

All of the research that I have done points towards the RRS ball head BH-55 and their mounting plates. As for the tripod I am going to order a Gitzo carbon fiber, not sure which one.... still doing research on this. Suggest going to bythom.com, has a good article on tripods.

19. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Anti locking legs are worth it.

20. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The New leg Locks Are Worth it

Just the fact that the legs don't rotate make things worls easier when you're constantly changing thigs in the field...especially if you have lots of weight from a long lens on board.

I upgraded from a 1325 to the new 6X 1540 series (can't recall the number) and there is a substantial difference in the stability.