1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the Nikon 1 system dead?

Discussion in 'Nikon Mirrorless' started by SP77, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thom Hogan thinks so...

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/how-do-you-know-when-your.html

I personally have been extremely frustrated with Nikon for failing to evolve and support the 1 system properly, because it had so much potential. I still own not one but TWO AW1's

Things I would have loved but have never seen.

- 13-14mm f/2 (35mm equiv)
    - 10-100AW perfect for the beach and waterparks
    - 10-30mm f/2.8
    - evolved AW2/3 with evolved sensor, flash sync better than 1/60s, improved ergonomics

I'd have been ALL OVER these DL lenses had they made them for the 1-system and CX mount. Why the fawk did Nikon only release these for the DL, which isn't even shipping yet, meanwhile they've left those of us that have bought 1-systems to rot?

DL18-50 f/1.8-2.8
    DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8

What the hell???

I'd have bought BOTH of those for my 1's, had they offered them.

I mean geez, how oblivious and out of touch can you be? TAKE MY MONEY!!!!! But you have to build things people will actually buy. Oh sure that 70-300 is pretty exotic, as is the 32mm f/1.2, but like Thom said, they go from dumpy kit lens iterations to really exotic stuff, but don't bother to develop the everyday lenses that people could really use, like a 35mm f/2 equivalent.

Nikon just doesn't have a freaking clue what their customers want, nor what they're willing to pay for. Nikon builds what THEY want to build, and lock you into operating things the way THEY want you to operate them, and if you want to do something outside of that little box, tough crap. Example. I also bought the FT1 mount adapter, so that I could use some of my old manual focus Nikkors for astro type photography. Will Nikon put a little "fix" into their firmware, and they won't let you run exposures longer than a second or two when using the FT1, which pretty much locks you out of starry night astro photography? WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?!?!?! Another thing... The AW1 really needs a "recently used" menu option, so that you can get to your common menu things easily. I noticed one day that the J1 actually has that, but the AW1 doesn't? WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? Gah!!!!! That drove me insane on the AW1 and I just thought all of the cameras are like that. Nope. But for some reason they don't think AW1 users would need a "recently used" menu option, so they don't give it to you.

Sorry guys, I'm just sounding off, but I'm so freaking pissed and disappointed in Nikon here. I fully expected that Nikon would evolve and support this platform, but seeing these DL lenses a few months ago was really the last straw with me, and a huge slap in the face. :( 

What do you guys think?

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I was never interested....seemed like it was DOA....

3. Dano

Dano

Mar 30, 2009
    Iowa
    I have a V2 & V3 and like 'em both. Great little cameras you can carry all day and use as long as the sun is up with few clouds. :happy: 

4. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I have a V2 and AW1, I'll continue to use them until they don't work - and then I'll look around for a used one in decent condition.

5. I feel your pain. If I had bought in to the system I would be very unhappy. Don't buy a DL when it eventually comes out.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  6. I rented a V1 for a trip to South America and was generally pleased; it convinced me that mirrorless was a viable technology. However, I wasn't impressed w/ Nikon's subsequent offerings and ended up going w/ Olympus, thankfully. It sure seemed like they (Nikon) had their blinders on and weren't listening to the user complaints, or from pundits like Thom.

7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    When they announced the system, I was really impressed with what the cameras could do, but the pricing was and always has been ridiculous. The AW1 has been a fantastic camera, however. That's what sold me. Flawed, yes, but I've been able to get a lot of amazing photos with this camera, that you wouldn't want to subject anything other than maybe a GoPro to, and it has a much nicer lens range and lens options.

Yeah, as long as the sun is up is right. My biggest complaint about the image quality is the "all ISO shadow noise" that you get, especially visible in twilight type photos that I do quite a bit of. It's just messy. I was really hoping for an evolved AW2/3 or some real advancement in 1" sensor performance, but it's never materialized.

No freaking way now. Lenses like those, that I'd have been all over for CX mount, are a slap in the face. Would have seriously killed for an AW 24-85mm f/1.8-2.8 equivalent lens!!!!!

I took my two AW1's to Singapore and Taiwan with the 6.7-13 on one, and the 30-110 on the other, and they worked wonderfully. The flash performance was terrible though, low-light AF performance was really bad (think dark restaurants), clumsy controls and ergonomics, and that constant shadow noise. Eh... Viable technology, yes, but failure to execute and follow through. Disappointing. Yes, my impression is that Nikon really doesn't listen to or care about their customers as well.

8. Thanks. Good analysis.

9. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    IMHO,
    The "good fast glass" came out too late to save it.

10. Any particular reason? They sound to me like Nikon's version of Sony's RX100 (which is hugely popular) but with an updated sensor and good glass.

11. Eyaldar

Eyaldar

Dec 21, 2007
    Israel
    It was DOA, for me 1'' sensor is too small to bother with interchangeable lenses especially at this ridiculous price.
    The DL is looking very appealing though.

12. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    Yes a small sensor, but a great compact take anyplace camera for me. It is not for everyone, but neither are DSLR's. I'll shoot with mine until it dies, then buy another used one & keep shooting. :D 

eDSC_0337-M.

13. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    with an 840mm reach in a tiny package... I'll also reach for my V2+70-300cx combo when I want the reach but don't want the weight.... sure - its no D500.. but unless you need to submit to nat'l geo... it will do you just fine in the right conditions.

14. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    I read what Thomas Stirr wrote. The Nikon man made no mention of new Nikon 1 products in the pipe line, just that the J5 is selling. I hope Thomas Stirr is correct, but I'm somewhat skeptical.

15. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    The Nikon 1 is still alive. I just bought a second V1. :sneaky: 

16. Well my V1 is still alive and kicking and hopefully will be with me for many years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I occasionally use my J1, just wish they had come out with some wide primes for it and stopped chasing megapixels and concentrated on high iso performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    Yes Nikon lost their way with the 1 system. It could have been so much more. If the J5 had been a V5 with a viewfinder I'd have happily bought one. More primes would have been great too.

So as it stands my Nikon 1 cameras will continue to serve me well. Long live the Nikon 1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.