Is the Nikon 1 system dead?

I bought the Nikon 1 system, then thought what the hell was I thinking, or they thinking, so it sat for some years then I found ............HEY! it's great snapshot camera for selling items on E-Bay, that is all I use it for.

My wife has a J2 with the standard kit lenses. She has used it maybe 4 times - she wanted portable, with a big zoom - oh and no lenses to interchange, so a Panasonic LZ60 might be in her future (or whatever one is out there and decent).

I have not asked if she wants to sell off the J2 though.

The V1 is my travel system. I bought two re-furb bodies and keep a wide zoom on one and a normal to long zoom on the other and carry both - so no lens changes. I am very happy with the image quality, size and weight.

It's not perfect for everyone, obviously, but I've come to love my 1 system. I got rid of everything (D3, D2x, all lenses, etc) and switched to a single J4. The 32 1.2 is a sweet lens. The kit lens that came with it is pretty nice as well. I don't do any serious shooting so it's perfect for my general photography needs.

Interesting thread. We purchased a V3 quite a while back for my wife to use, big lenses and big bodies are too heavy for her. End result, #1 animal photo of the year in the International Photo Competition at our biggest state fair in 2015. The reach was needed, and it did her very well. No issues whatsoever with 12x18 and 16x20 prints, looks great. That said, as good as the AF is, and as good as the EVF is, still not up to OVF and DSLR standards, so we just bought her a D5600 kit, which surprisingly is not much heavier. Not sure yet what we will do with the V3, given that the D5600 is not much larger.

She finds the D500 too large and heavy, but she loves the AF and OVF of the D5600 already. Heck, she is even starting to do some videos, which she found more difficult on the V3. Funny how much of a difference position of buttons and such can make.

If you know of someone who really needs (wants) a full V3 kit, send them my way, it might help us decide what to do next. V3 is one heck of a great camera, no doubt about that.

I really like the V2 for outdoor shooting, although it's really not usable at ISOs beyond 800, or 400 for critical work. If they had come out with a V2-like body with the newer sensor in the J5 dropped into it, I'd have definitely bought it.

In many ways, it's a superior system to the smaller Micro 4/3 bodies, and as the better Micro 4/3 cameras have gotten bigger and bigger, I find myself liking the V2 even more as a very compact shooter. I just wish it had a current generation sensor in it that could get decent results at ISO 3200 or so.

Maybe there is still some life in the Nikon 1 system.
New patents from Nikon seem to include an interchangeable lens for an 1" sensor: 9-35mm f2.8-4.0
Personally I would love this as the 1 system is still on the list of cameras that I want to test out (especially if there was a speedbooster for the system) as convienient carry around and for birds.
Source:
The latest Nikon patents: mirrorless lenses, curved sensor and more | Nikon Rumors

New patents show there's signs of life in Nikon's R&D dept, yes, but ultimately it's product management that decides what's released and when. Even Thom Hogan has said that Nikon's entire product management team needs to be fired. LOL.

I still have my entire Nikon 1 system with the ultra-wide, 30-110 telephoto, and the two AW1 bodies. I'd have paid good money for an AW 10-100 lens, and a follow-on AW2 with a better sensor and ergonomic tweaks. Such a shame. Speaking of which, we might actually get some real snowfall here tomorrow night, so guess I'll charge up the batteries and give the gasket areas a once over and grease them per recommendations if I can find the grease! I've gotten so many awesome photos with my AW1's.

I kept my AW1 to keep taking shots in water. I sadly sold off my V3 and all my lenses recently and got a M4/3 kit. Nikon has probably lost my business for years. It’s a shame.

Not dead to me, yet. V1 and J1 and I really would like a J5. I wish Nikon would pull its corporate finger out and start developing again, and at a lower price. They are still selling discontinued stuff over here at the original RRP. I wait for refurbs.

My Nikon 1 system & my Fuji system both make me happy. I'll shoot with my Fuji for a while & then pick up my Nikon 1 cameras & fall in love with them again. They are such nice vastly underrated cameras.

I thought I'd not be buying anymore Nikon 1 gear, but heck I bought a 30-110 that was cheap as chips. As long as they keep working I'll keep using them. They make me happy. :snaphappy:

I still have a V3 system here, no point in selling, value isn't there used. As long as it keeps working, and I have no reason to believe it won't, it is a super backup and a phenomenal travel kit.

I still have a V3 system here, no point in selling, value isn't there used. As long as it keeps working, and I have no reason to believe it won't, it is a super backup and a phenomenal travel kit.

My problem is that I already have a much better travel kit with my Oly E-M10 MkII and all those cool m4/3 lenses...

The V2 has become a 2.7 TC for me, that's its only purpose now. And with the D500 I don't even feel the need for that!

My problem is that I already have a much better travel kit with my Oly E-M10 MkII and all those cool m4/3 lenses...

The V2 has become a 2.7 TC for me, that's its only purpose now. And with the D500 I don't even feel the need for that!

I don't have any of those "cool" m4/3 thingies, so this poor old thing will just have to do for now. I am, of course, a Nikon Purist, unlike YOU folks who mix things up, oh shame on you, SHAME on you ... I hope you wash your hands thoroughly after using that Oly before you pick up your Nikons ... ;)

Sometime back I bought a used V1 from a member here and later added a V1 refurb. Picked up a used GPS receiver (really useful for international travel), flash, and assorted lenses. I don't have much money invested and it makes up my travel and vacation kit.

When out and about I carry both bodies with a wide zoom on one and telephoto zoom on the other. That combination works very well for me and (even with two bodies) is about the lightest rig that gives me that focal range. Image quality in decent light is as good as it was when new (which is very good) and still impresses me. A plus is it takes the same battery as my D810 so I have plenty.

I don't have any of those "cool" m4/3 thingies, so this poor old thing will just have to do for now. I am, of course, a Nikon Purist, unlike YOU folks who mix things up, oh shame on you, SHAME on you ... I hope you wash your hands thoroughly after using that Oly before you pick up your Nikons ... ;)

You make me feel really dirty now, Bill - but I need to spread my love across 2 systems ;)

Cheers

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom