Is the Nikon 1 system dead?

You make me feel really dirty now, Bill - but I need to spread my love across 2 systems ;)

Cheers

Mike

Just stand out in all that rain you folks are supposed to be getting with a bar of soap, it will clean you right up!

Seriously speaking, let's hope that rain doesn't result in more mud slides. You folks don't need any more of that this year.

Just stand out in all that rain you folks are supposed to be getting with a bar of soap, it will clean you right up!

Seriously speaking, let's hope that rain doesn't result in more mud slides. You folks don't need any more of that this year.

Thanks, Bill - so far, no mudslides, thankfully. The storm has dumped about 2.7 inches on us up to now, and it'll continue all day today. 2 of my engineers keep getting evacuated every time it rains :(

Cheers

Mike

Dpreview: “Nikon’s 1 system – it’s not dead, it’s just sleeping”

A few days ago Dpreview published an article about their recent interviews with the different camera manufacturers at the CP+ show in Japan. Dpreview did not interview Nikon, but they had an
interesting comment suggesting that the Nikon 1 system is not dead:

"Nikon's 1 system (it's not dead, it's just sleeping...) likewise introduced some important technologies that Nikon could presumably incorporate into a larger-format system when it feels the time is right."

Dpreview: "Nikon's 1 system – it's not dead, it's just sleeping" | Nikon Rumors

Nikon 1 not dead here yet either ... picked up a used V1 & lenses for cheap a few months ago... great alternative to my heavier D300s w/300mm on bad back days... focus and burst rate is great as well :)

Well according to Nikon yes it is dead. Although it will live on for me as long as my Nikon V2 & lenses continue to function. Long live the Nikon 1.

Real Name
Geoff Brown
About a month ago I'd booked a trip to Majorca, I was going to take my D7000 and a few lenses, plus my P7100 in my Tenba roller, which is carry on friendly, it come in at 10 kgs, just before the trip i was asking myself if I really wanted to lug all this gear to Majorca and back, the answer was no, so in a moment of madness i bought another camera, a Nikon 1 V1 and 10-30 lens, which i took on the trip, the body,lens, charger and spare battery fitted into a small messenger bag, the results i got from this little camera were stunning, I don't know the reason Nikon discontinued the 1 system, but from my experience, there cracking little cameras.

About a month ago I'd booked a trip to Majorca, I was going to take my D7000 and a few lenses, plus my P7100 in my Tenba roller, which is carry on friendly, it come in at 10 kgs, just before the trip i was asking myself if I really wanted to lug all this gear to Majorca and back, the answer was no, so in a moment of madness i bought another camera, a Nikon 1 V1 and 10-30 lens, which i took on the trip, the body,lens, charger and spare battery fitted into a small messenger bag, the results i got from this little camera were stunning, I don't know the reason Nikon discontinued the 1 system, but from my experience, there cracking little cameras.
Yep. My travel setup is a pair of V1s. Often I will carry both with a wide zoom on one and telephoto zoom on the other. That is a big step up in comfort from when I carried a D3 and f2.8 zoom. Image quality is great in decent light and I have the accessory flash for when it is not. The V1 also takes the same battery as my D810/D850.

Real Name
Dan
I think the Nikon 1 system was dead on arrival. Nikon just had to wait an appropriate length of time to satisfy their pride before giving up on it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom