Is there a way to really lock in the MB-D10?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by wgilles, Sep 10, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I am asking this because I have a MB-D80 for my D80 and the damn screw would come loose every once in a while and my camera would turn off and on (not good I think). So I'd tighten it back up and I got in the habit of tightening the screw ALL the time, sometimes I would do it as I was taking a pictures, not good.

So, is there a way to keep that screw from turning loose?

2. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

A drop of this might do the trick, but it might become annoying if you frequently remove the battery grip to change the battery in the camera body... I don't know if the bond would be too strong to easily break or not??

http://www.tools-plus.com/loctite-24200.html

3. I certainly wouldn't recommend Loctite for that use. A piece of gaffer tape would hold it for sure.

4. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

I definitely wouldn't recommend the high strength loctite, but the low strength might work nicely. I've used it successfully for similar applications; I'm just not sure how tight the grip is to begin with.

5. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

How about a very thin "lock" washer?

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    That's a good idea

7. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    FWIW, I've never had my MB-D10 grip on my D300 come loose. I crank the wheel as tight as I can and it stays. I don't know if the design is different than the MB-D80 or I just have a different experience.

8. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I'm not sure what the battery grip connection looks like on the D80 but on the D300 it's a wheel. It's super tight. I have NEVER had it come loose.

9. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Guess the one for the D80 is just looser...maybe I had a defective one?

10. Removeable Loc Tite should work. It's designed so a good twist causes the brittle compound to break off and flake. Some people use it to attach their QR plates to bodies.

11. I never had a problem with either of my two grips coming loose. Once tight they stay like that...

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Ditto - have had mine attached since November last year, well over 50,000 clicks later and have not had to touch it.

13. Blue or Green loctite is fine (green is probably what you are looking for). DONT use the red stuff. Red is quite strong.

14. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    A dab of clear nail polish on the threads... not as aggressive as any of the Loctite offerings, but certainly has enough "bite" to keep the screw from loosening..

15. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

Good tip with the clear nail polish suggestion!

16. Also, you do not need a battery in the camera. My grip stays on and I never t ake it off - only battery is in the grip. (D300)

17. mdirvin

mdirvin

Jan 30, 2007
    East TN
    I keep a bottle of clear fingernail polish around for just such things. It works great to keep the little screw in your eye glasses from falling out.

Mike

18. I also leave my grip on all the time and only use a battery in the grip.

19. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I wonder if a small rubber o-ring on the stud might not be just the ticket for this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.