Is there any aid or trick to get focus right on D80?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sunesha, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I usually shoot around 20-30 shoots to get focus right. This is with scenes shoot with my nikkor 12-24. When I try to include a flower or rock into scene and get the background to stay in focus also. I shoot so many different focus length to pick up the one the best average focus.

It is almost impossible to see the focus if it is clear in the viewfinder, using DOF preview helps a bit.

Hmm the viewfinder is just to small to see focus... I remember as teen in the 80s, I did all the focus from the viewfinder. Maybe it was just bigger viewfinders those days.

I am almost thinking off looking for new camera, I choose the Nikon over the Canon when took up photography again just for bigger viewfinder.

Sure autofocus is great, but when you need to adjust it manually the viewfinder in the D80 is just to small... I seen that there are some enlargers but that is just like 10% bigger I wonder if that will make the diffrence..

How do you solve your critical focusing?

2. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Ahh the local photo-store sells a viewfinder enlarger that enlarger 1.35X

Gotta try it out, only 100dollar/75 euro.

http://www.kpsrd.co.kr/

seems like a very interesting product.

3. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  4. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Sweet and excellent.

There are some solutions to my minor issue.. I think I will go ahead buy both of them. I handled around a Canon 5D which had a great viewfinder, but didnt like it so much otherwise. Maybe future Nikons will enlarge the viewfinders a bit more.

Will be interesting to se how the enlarger will do, that Katz Eye seems great.

Also find a nice review from a annother Nikoncafe member:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=65806

Made me order it with Opti-brite option directly. As I do alot work stopped down.

Great that are some options, it feels a bit hard to look on new camera for just beeing a bit weak in one department for my kind of photo shooting style.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017