Is there any way to automate this?

I was browsing the online gallery of a photographer I have met, and she has catalogued her photos with her name and date in the following format:

PhotographersName_20150623_6907.jpg

That tells you everything you need to know, and I wish I had my photos catalogued that way.

Is there any way to automate a naming convention like that?

There is lots of software that makes that happen in the process of downloading images from the memory card to the computer or importing into a catalog. Perhaps some of Nikon's free software does it if software you already use doesn't do it.

I can vouch for that file-naming convention being very effective, as I use the same convention except that mine also has another small bit of information that is appropriate to my workflow.

Thanks, folks. I would like to use LR to do this as I don't have Photo Mechanic. And I need to do it after I have already imported the files.

Under "Library -> Rename photo" I can get a pop-up menu of choices, but only one includes the date, and it has no place for the photographer's name before the date.

Am I missing something?

--------------------------------------------------

I think I've found it in Julianne Kost's Youtube video.

I've got it now, but I'm worried about one thing. I have two cameras and there is the remote chance that they might both have the same file sequence number on the same date.

Jim you should find an explanation in the second link in my post. You do not need to go outside of LR to do what you want.

Hope I have got the sequence correct

• Select images needed in Library
  • Library Rename Photos select file naming Custom Name
  • In the following Template Editor dialogue
  • Click on the various dropdowns and select option then click insert and you will see the sequence and above next to Example the way the file will be renamed
  • In this case JimPa2010913_IMG0132.DNG equating to the {Custom Text}{YYYMMDD}{Original filename}
JimRename.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Or get pretty fancy
CustomTemplate.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Jim you should find an explanation in the second link in my post. You do not need to go outside of LR to do what you want.

Hope I have got the sequence correct

• Select images needed in Library
  • Library Rename Photos select file naming Custom Name
  • In the following Template Editor dialogue
  • Click on the various dropdowns and select option then click insert and you will see the sequence and above next to Example the way the file will be renamed
  • In this case JimPa2010913_IMG0132.DNG equating to the {Custom Text}{YYYMMDD}{Original filename}
View attachment 1586198

Or get pretty fancy
View attachment 1586199

Thanks, Tony. As you may see from Post #8 above I had figured this out just before you posted, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

I have two cameras and there is the remote chance that they might both have the same file sequence number on the same date.

One solution, if your cameras are two different models, is to include the model name in your file-naming convention. Another solution is to include the time of capture down to the second, which will work whether or not the two cameras are the same model.

One solution, if your cameras are two different models, is to include the model name in your file-naming convention. Another solution is to include the time of capture down to the second, which will work whether or not the two cameras are the same model.

Thanks, Mike. I've even got that problem solved now: I always set up my cameras to use a unique prefix so I'll know which camera the file is from, e.g. D75 for the d750 and D72 for the D7200. So I'm just using the original filename for the final bit of the new name. Does make for rather unwieldy file names so I'll need to think about this a bit.

Thanks, Mike. I've even got that problem solved now: I always set up my cameras to use a unique prefix so I'll know which camera the file is from, e.g. D75 for the d750 and D72 for the D7200. So I'm just using the original filename for the final bit of the new name. Does make for rather unwieldy file names so I'll need to think about this a bit.

That's what I do. I have three D600s, and each one has been changed to it's own filename convention (D61, D62 and D63). My D7100 has been changed to D71.

Latest threads

Top Bottom