Is there any way to clean the underside of the viewfinder?

I am seeing a tiny speck in my D40's viewfinder, I know it may be under the screen, a rocket blower can't seem to get rid of it; it doesn't affect image quality, of course, but it's annoying.

is there any way of getting at debris that gets trapped under the focusing screen?

Looking at the repair guide and parts list, the focus screen is held in place with a sprung wire. It goes across the long edge of the focus screen ( nearest the lens mount ), and is clipped under a plastic tab then along both short edges and the ends are turned 90° towards the sides of the camera and locate into holes in the mirror box - presumably as hinges.

unclip that at the mount and the focus screen should come out.

I've just looked at a D50 I have here and it is easily visible.

I'd think very carefully before disassembling it though. It may come apart easily enough, but going back together again afterwards ....

It's not so much the mirror assembly that's delicate, it's the front silvering. I've seen cameras where the silvering has been scratched by a lens brush.

More good advice - what kind of material is the mirror made of?

Just like my beat up old film cameras, I'll just have to live with some annoying debris in the viewfinder.
It is probably evaporated aluminum or, sliver. They have Silicone Oxide over coats like astronomical mirrors, it is a natural part of the process. While the SiOxide does give protection it isnt enough to rub vigorously on.

The dust is either under the focus screen or on it. I doubt that it is on the mirror. I would not touch that mirror if I were you unless you are familiar with what you are doing :smile: As someone has mentioned, they are fragile.

gene

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom