Is there software that can read numbers in images?

I have around 3,000 images from a race held last Sunday, and I'm laboriously going through and tagging each image with the race numbers of the competitors in the frame.

I'm going crazy! :smile:

Does anyone know of software that can do this tagging process automatically using some sort of OCR?

Many thanks.

In Lightroom you can select each image - if in order click the first & last image while holding the shift key (windows) and all the images in between will be selected. If the images are not one after the other then while holding the ctrl key, click on each image.

When you have all of the images selected type or select the race number (in the keyword box) and it will be applied to all selected images.

I hope this helps.

I'm sure there are ways of doing it with other software but I use/prefer Lr.

Steve

Thanks Steve - I was aware of that technique (but thanks for the reminder). I was hoping for something fully automated. It took me 4 days to tag over 3,000 images, and I don't want to do that again unless I have to! :smile:

He wants to find images with particular numbers in them. There is no such commercial software that I know of. There is specialized soft for the Gov't/ Intel org. that can do that. It does require very powerful comp and cost more than your house. (probably).
Of course, I don't know everything. Things change quickly in soft world. Try search for it.

What about something like iPhoto that has facial recognition but try to zero in on the race number? Is that what you are talking about?

You might ping the folks at brightroom.com - they shoot road races and when I used to run the Bolder Boulder (~40K runners), they identified runners by bib #s in the photos and they had them ready really quickly. I always suspected they had an automated solution - perhaps they have some software insight on this.

Sean

Let us know if you find a solution, please! It is very interesting topic.

You might ping the folks at brightroom.com - they shoot road races and when I used to run the Bolder Boulder (~40K runners), they identified runners by bib #s in the photos and they had them ready really quickly. I always suspected they had an automated solution - perhaps they have some software insight on this.

Sean

Yep, that's exactly what I mean, Sean. I'll see if they're willing to share. :smile:

You have the number selected as the keyword and just paint it on the images in Grid mode.
That would work if the object was to put the number into the picture.

If the object is to put the number into the metadata so something like Lightroom can select out the pictures with runner 58392 in it ...

Yeah, if you get intelligent photo processing like that you could sell it to all the big Sports networks.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom