Is This a Decent Configuration?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Gunnerisac, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Thinking of buying a new set-up. Any suggestions?

Hard Disk Drives: 250GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive
    Cables: No Cable
    Desktop Computers: Systemax Apex Mid Tower Branding Pack
    Accessories: Black Venture Label
    Removable Data Storage: 9-in-1 Card Reader Black
    Components: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Hard Disk Drives: 250GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive
    Memory: 3GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Memory (1GB x 2, 512MB x 2)
    Keyboards / Mice / Input: Logitech OEM Value 100 Keyboard PS/2
    Processors: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8M Processor
    Motherboards: Intel DG965WH ATX Motherboard w/Gigabit LAN
    Software: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    CD/DVD Drives: 20X DVD+R/RW-R/RW Dual Layer Drive
    CD/DVD Drives: 16X DVD ROM Drive
    Desktop Computers: Systemax Venture VX2 BQ66
    Desktop Computers: Mid Tower Chassis Base
    Power Supplies: 500 Watt Power Supply
    Video / Graphics Cards: GeForce 8500GT 512MB PCI-Express (1DVI / 1VGA)

Is the GeForce graphic card worthwhile?

PaulC

2. You will be better off have one specific hard drive for the OS and applications and a second for all your data. Depending on how much photoshop work you do, you may want to conider one of those 15000 RPM drives in the cabinet as purely a photoshop scratch disk. Can you fit 3 drives into a mid-tower configuration? Also consider getting (your decided) amount of memory on as few "sticks" as possible to permit a memory upgrade at a leter time. I found the "generic" multi-card reader SOOO SLOOOWWW - my box has a front accessable firewire jack and the Lexar "pro" reader can unload a 4 gig card in about 15 minutes and opposed to an hour (I use Lexar cards exclusively)

3. Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Sean

4. Good input! Agree with having a separate HD for OS --150-gb should be enough, don't you think? Then maybe a 350 gb HD for data. BTW I have a 555gb external LaCie back-up.

Thought re: the GeForce

PaulC

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  5. System setup looks fine, but you really don't need the two CD and DVD drives.. just get a single DVD/CDRW drive .. They run about $80 for a Plextor it reads and burns both CD and DVD...

Secondly you really don't need a separate drive for just a scratch disck for Photoshop... You will see no difference in real time. Just get a Disk for the OS and apps and then a disk for the DATA images and such.. i use that disc for my Photoshop scratch disk.. works just fine...

Also, just got with 4GB RAM in 2x2GB sticks... You will have to make a modification the the boot file to have XP recognize the extra RAM on the system. Very easy to make the change...

Also get a Nvidia 8600 card instead.. That way when you upgrade to Vista you can use the Direct X 10 that is supported in vista...

Other than that why not just get the 64bit version of Vista and then you can access all 4GB RAM on the system?

6. Thanks, Eric -- Makes sense. Vista 64 bit is probably going to br the best and easiest way too.

PaulC

QUOTE=Desert Rat;1382457]System setup looks fine, but you really don't need the two CD and DVD drives.. just get a single DVD/CDRW drive .. They run about $80 for a Plextor it reads and burns both CD and DVD...

Secondly you really don't need a separate drive for just a scratch disck for Photoshop... You will see no difference in real time. Just get a Disk for the OS and apps and then a disk for the DATA images and such.. i use that disc for my Photoshop scratch disk.. works just fine...

Also, just got with 4GB RAM in 2x2GB sticks... You will have to make a modification the the boot file to have XP recognize the extra RAM on the system. Very easy to make the change...

Also get a Nvidia 8600 card instead.. That way when you upgrade to Vista you can use the Direct X 10 that is supported in vista...

Other than that why not just get the 64bit version of Vista and then you can access all 4GB RAM on the system?[/QUOTE]

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I have an Asus GeForce 8600GT quiet card, without fan (I hate those tiny fans that produce lots of noise). I looked for a graphics card with two DVI connectors and found only 8600 upwards to have those. Currently I still have only one monitor, but I plan to add a second one so two DVI helps. I find DVI output usually the better option.
    I'm not familiar with your case, but I would advise you get a good case such as Antec or Lian Li or similar. I upgraded my whole computer except my Antec case I bought 2-3 years ago and I'm very happy with it. It has 120mm fans, one in the front and one in the back, and is super quiet. It also has this great hard disk mounts and setting it up is a real pleasure. The only thing in the case I replaced was the back fan where I put a speed adjustable type to get better ventilation.
    Another very important item is the power supply - again a good one is worth every penny. I just bought a Be Quiet and it IS very very quiet (it has this huge fan on the bottom which doesn't produce any noticable noise, it's also very efficient with a factor of >0.8).
    I agree regarding HD to use at least 2 drives.

8. Thanks -- some good advice here!

PaulC