is this a female mandarin duck???

Hi All,

I got out for the first time in months and went to Burnaby lake for a bit of walk.

I saw this duck and i am wondering what it is... ebird says it is a mandarin duck (female) but this would be very rare.... there has been a single male mandarin duck in the area for a few years and last year he was trying to mate with some female wood ducks... So who nows.

Is it a female mandarin duck that has been released by someone like the male was?
Is it a female wood duck / mandarin duck hybrid?

_D5B7166-Possible female manderin duck@0.33x.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_D5B7167-possible manderin duck female@0.5x.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thanks for the help

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"its a hybrid....." - Georgie Beagle

Up here in the north woods of Idaho that is pronounced HIGH-BREED, as in "the gov'mint released highbreed wolves in our forests". :eek::D:rolleyes:

Actually, they DID come from Canada .. . :cool:

Hi Nick,

Canada has the best wolves, 'cause we feed them so well!!!!

Cheers,

"wolves are a good reason to stay home..." - Georgie Beagle

Grabbing my new copy of Birds of Virginia, I took a look at the photo of a female wood duck and most of the characteristics do seem to match up, so I would agree with Randy.

Female wood duck I think

Cool pic

Hi Randy and Connie,

I thought so too when i first saw it, but it was different than the young female wood ducks that were about. I then used eBird and it identified the bird as a Mandarin Duck which is odd as there is only one Mandarin duck in the Vancouver Area. He was released by someone a few years ago.

So it probably a female wood duck, but I will go back in a few days and try to get some more photos.

Cheers,

"eBird we have a problem..." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy and Connie,

I thought so too when i first saw it, but it was different than the young female wood ducks that were about. I then used eBird and it identified the bird as a Mandarin Duck which is odd as there is only one Mandarin duck in the Vancouver Area. He was released by someone a few years ago.

So it probably a female wood duck, but I will go back in a few days and try to get some more photos.

Cheers,

"eBird we have a problem..." - Georgie Beagle

I have 1 summer tanager in my backyard and it's a juvi male so where are the parents and sibblings....these birds can be mysterious

I was a bit confused by this one, having no experience with female Mandarins. It occurred to me that it could be a male Mandarin in eclipse plumage. I found pictures which appear to confirm that. It will grow back it's spectacular breeding plumage later in the year.

Larry

I was a bit confused by this one, having no experience with female Mandarins. It occurred to me that it could be a male Mandarin in eclipse plumage. I found pictures which appear to confirm that. It will grow back it's spectacular breeding plumage later in the year.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the information. I will keep a lookout for this bird changing color...

Cheers,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom