Is this a good deal on a used D50

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by DFRI, Jul 30, 2007.

1. DFRI

DFRI

Jul 21, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I have a chance to pick up a used Nikon D50 with the 18-55 lens (no extras, that I know of yet). She said that it was a gift to her about a year ago.

She wants $400 for it. Is there anything in particular I should look for when I go look at it? And how can I tell how many pictures have been taken with it? (or is that even important)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  2. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Sounds like a normal price for one with <10k shutter actuations. To check shutter count you take a picture with it, then view the picture's EXIF information with software like Opanda.

3. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    It seems OK,...

At their lowest point, I believe that refurb D50's were selling for $380 or so from Beach Camera (without the lens).

With that in mind, I don't consider $400 for a used kit a great deal, but you could do worse. Just make sure the shutter count isn't too high.

4. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    That's a good price for a D50 w/lens. My D50 is one camera that I will never sell. It's just too good for the price.

5. Gmas

Gmas

Mar 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I know used ones with the 18-55 lens go for minimum $500 CND in mint shape up here, and they're usually gone quick at that price.

6. Well, I sold a 6 month old D50 body with just under 10K actuations for $370 and the kit lens separately for $110. If the seller takes care of her equipment, it seems to be a pretty good deal.

7. DFRI

DFRI

Jul 21, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Total # of shutter releases is at 2555. Here are a few pictures taken with it. Still sound like a good deal at $350-$400? Or do I go for a refurbished kit with charger, usb cable, video cable, software, users guide, & 90 day warranty for $525

th_88707_Pic2_122_1169lo. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    go for it! D50 is the best!

9. I think the refusbished

The 90 day warranty, the battery charger, and the USB cable would very much tempt me. I think I would go for the refurbished. Who would you be buying it from? Could you return it if it turned out to be a beater?

Craig

10. Don't mean to hijack your thread DFRI, but I'm also in the market for a used D50 and it appears that we need to look at something with less than 10K actuations. Can anyone estimate what type and how much to repair / replace the wearing parts (under normal use)?

11. Sounds like a good price, I just picked up a d50 with approx 3300 actuations for $360 shipped
    Another $190 for a pre-owned excellent condition 18-70, and for $550 i felt i got a decent deal, I didn't overpay or 'steal it'. Either way you'll enjoy it

regards

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Go for it, it's a good deal. If the owner have used the one and same SD card, the easiest way to check actuations is by looking at the file number of the last taken image. But then many people switch cards, so it's not fool-proof.

13. cuttooth

cuttooth Guest

14. cuttooth

cuttooth Guest

...and 400 for that body and lens isn't the worse thing you could do. assuming it has the battery charger as well.

15. kperry

kperry

Aug 7, 2007
    Huntsville, AL
    Just curious as I'm also in the market, where are you finding the best refurb prices?

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Check cameta camera, they also have an ebay store.

17. chris24net

chris24net Guest

I got mine at cameta.

Also, to check to see if you're getting a decent price, you can always do an advanced search on eBay just looking for completed sales of an item. So you can see what things have sold for recently to see what the market is.

18. I got mine at Adorama. It was a demo camera packaged like new in box with all accessories (no lens). I payed $400 shipped, and was pretty happy with the price. I could've gotten it for a little less, but I liked the return policy on used items that Adorama has.