Is this a good deal?

There is an ad on the local Craigslist for "Luciferio 2X3 bank on Boom two 1500 WS Calumet linear heads. $75 or best offer." with these pictures:

http://images.craigslist.org/3E43Gc3Nf5I55E65Kbd4mdc290e004313145b.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ka3Ma3Ha5Nc5La5E2d4m1e26290caa631809.jpg

I emailed the seller, saying:
Hi, I'm interested! But can you give me a little input?
I'm an amateur, right now I have a high end Nikon DSLR, and I use two flashes with umbrellas using the Nikon wireless system. I think a softbox like this would be great for portraits. but I'm not that familiar with how to use flash heads like the ones you're including. Do I need a separate power source or transformer to power them? Do I need to purchase a wireless trigger to set off the flash? What else would I need to buy to properly make use of this? Thanks.

He responded with:
I can sell you a Calumet power pack for $50.00 to power up the strobe heads and modeling lights.

Should I run like heck to make this purchase, or run the other way?

DAB

Last edited by a moderator:
The prices dont sound right to me when compared to what is shown in the picture. Softboxes of any fashion by themselves are expensive, booms are generally not cheap, and neither are flash heads, especially 1500ws heads. Also.... two 1500 ws heads in incredibly powerful..... and you get all of this for 75 bucks? and a power pack for $50 ?

Sounds fishy to me... I would tread carefully, ask him to set everything up, show you how it works and that it does in fact work, make sure everything is in good condition, and only then consider buying it. Also, if you have a freind knowledgeable in photo stuff I would drag them along as well. If he is willing to do all of that sweet if not, I would just by some inexpensive monolights ( cowboy studio) and be done with it. You may want to check out the monolights anyway...... they are small and compact and easy to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Brandon.

Also, how would I trigger these? And would I be able to trigger these flash heads while at the same time using my SB800's so I have multiple light sources?

If I can't use both at the same time, then I'd rather stick with my SB800's.

DAB

Thanks, Brandon.

Also, how would I trigger these? And would I be able to trigger these flash heads while at the same time using my SB800's so I have multiple light sources?

If I can't use both at the same time, then I'd rather stick with my SB800's.

DAB
You should be able to trigger the studio strobes with a PC cord and the speedlights at the same time (from the hot shoe).

I emailed back:
Does everything work properly? And what would I need to trigger these?

His response:
Yes. You could plug a photo or radio slave into the power pack.

It seems like it could be legit, but there's that old adage, "If it seems to good to be true..." He's also not located in a great area. Google maps shows his address to be an empty storefront (at least at the time the google picture was taken). There certainly could have been a studio located there.

DAB

I tried to find info on the gear he is offering but was unable to do so. If you are comfortable, you could go take a look see what you think and if you are ok with it, awesome. Ask him to show you they work in person, and you may want to have him meet you somewhere safer if you feel the neighborhood is risky. If he wont do any of that, it may just be better to walk away. Also from what I was able to find, the lucifero softboxes were made in italy, so parts etc may be difficult to find and expensive.

Thanks, Brandon. I've already told the guy I wasn't interested. I did a little researching online and discovered that his address belonged to a photo studio and the building is listed for sale. So it's probably legitimate and he needs to get rid of stuff. But I decided that even though what he was selling was probably a great deal, it was too much equipment for me. I'll stick with my SB800's for now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom