Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by frede, Jun 7, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I found a used Nikon 28-70 2.8 (The BEAST) at a local camera shop. It seems to be in perfect shape. He wants $1250, but he will take my Nikon 85 1.4 and $450 for the used Beast. While I like my 85mm, it has limited use, and a really need a good zoom. What do you think?

2. Fred,

It's okay, but not great. You could pretty easily sell your 85 1.4 for $800 if it's in mint condition. Jack's Cameras, from whom I've purchased about about a half dozen high end Nikon lenses, has a 9+ Condition 28-70 for $1125. http://www.jackscamera.com/activex/used_equipment_list.asp
    Sometimes they'll take a little off their listed price or toss in shipping. All my used purchases from Jack's have been in their rated conditions. HTH.

3. As Glenn mentioned, $1250 for a used 28-70 isn't the greatest deal, but it's not terrible either. Most here sell in the $1050-$1100 range with shipping included and you have the beauty of knowing what kind of person owned it as most here are very particular about their gear.

On the other hand, it suprises me that they offered $800 on the 85. It's not what you could get here for it, (probably $850-900) but not bad either.

I can guarantee you one thing, you will love the 28-70!

4. Fred,
    I have sold two of the 28-70mm lenses within the past two years each for $1,100 shipped and paypal. These were in good shape with the case and hood.

I think the price they are quoting you is high. I just bought a new one for $1,450. Yes, this is $200 higher, but I now have a 5 year warranty which you will not have. I can assure you that any repair on that lens within the next five years will cost more than $200.

Just something to think about.

5. robthorn

robthorn Guest

hey mitchell I am wondering why you sold 2 just to buy another one? I see alot of people doing this. am I missing out on something or did you just think you could repeatedly get by without the lens?
    thanks,
    robert
    also do you mind saying where you got the 28-70mm for that price new? pm is a fine place if you don't want to make it public.

6. Rob, I'm no wheeler dealer, but I bought both of the lenses that I sold as part of a package deal with a body and other items. I just knew that the parts sold separately would net me some dollars. In both cases, I made about $250 for my efforts.

I bought my most recent 28-70mm from Buydig.com after my lens was stolen. I just checked and they no longer have this lens listed.

Hope this helps.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks to all for the incite. I did not feel good about the deal, so I walked. The owner of the camera store was a real jerk about the whole thing anyway - he also has a new 28-70 2.8. He wants $1599 for that. I asked him to match the B&H price, which IS the real price for the glass ($1440). He said "let me ask you something, do YOU work for free because that's what you want me to do". He add a couple of insults that I ignored as I left. You'd think he would be nice to a potential repeat customer - esp these days when I can call B&H and have just about anything in 2 days AND at a better price. That was camera store #1 mind you. Camera store #2 was even more rude to me - he told me that I could NOT test the glass and that there was no such thing as a bad copy he laughed at me as I walked out of the store.

I do understand that's it's nice to walk into a camera shop and talk to a knowledgeable sales person that shares your passion, but if they are going to be rude why bother supporting these guys AND why pay them more for their "knowledge". They can go chapter 11 for all I care - it's B&H for me. I hope this does not break forum rules - I'm just a bit annoyed by how these guys treated me today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  8. I feel your pain Fred. It's extremely frustrating and unnecsssary for a local shop to treat you that way. You sound like a serious and informed customer and deserve better. In the long run, you are probably better off sticking with B&H and a few other on on line retailers as well as fellow Cafe members.

9. theLoon

theLoon Guest

That kind of negative retail experience can be a real drag, sorry the local shops aren't working out for you.

On the other hand, I don't think that B&H's prices can be reasonably compared to what smaller independent stores charge. For what it's worth, I usually try to get the local stores to sell to me for "less than retail, more than online". And I do buy from the local stores, simply because I appreciate having a place to go and look gear that I might buy. Fortunately for me, I live in a decent size city with local stores that are actually pretty decent, for the most part.

Regarding your original trade/offer, I probably would have taken it, if I wanted the zoom badly enough and was willing to give up the 85. Sure, it might have cost you a few hundred dollars, but it would have saved you negotiating with strangers, dealing with shipping/insurance and payment (or lack thereof) and so on. And you would have only paid sales tax on the difference in price. Plus, you would have had a reasonably good experience at that store, making it a nice place to come back to, rather than how you're feeling today...

10. If someone asked me "let me ask you something, do YOU work for free because that's what you want me to do" - I'd tell him that he's lucky to be working at all with that attitude. Furthermore, I'd tell him that he was working for free - wasting all his time with an honest cutomer who wanted to make a local purchase...when there are more lesser-informed customers he could rip off. Then I'd walk out. Attitudes like that kill local businesses...and they deserve it.

11. Dennyd80

Dennyd80 Guest

The $1,250 price for the used beast is high. The $1,599 price for a new copy is a rip off. The MSRP for the lens is $1,450 new with a 5 year warranty.

Pristine used copies of the beast sell for $1,100-$1,150 on Ebay.

You should be able to sell your 85/1.4 for $800-$850 on Ebay...if it's in 9+ condition.