Is this a gypsy moth larva?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pa, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty Shot.
    Perfect

2. Here's a better picture.

161434776-L.

3. hairy little bugger. how about a shot after the big change? you'll just have to follow it around. :cool: 

laurie

4. A Virginia Tech entomologist has confirmed that it is a gypsy moth larva, and there is a known infestation in our area. We'll need to request airborne spraying next spring.

5. I was about to type, yep that's what you have there.

I battled the gypsy moth for several years when I worked in a Dept. of Agriculture field lab.

Ie, I've seen millions of them. :D izzy: I've walked in forests where it sounded like a light rain, but was really the sound of their droppings, etc. falling through the leaves.

We did research into biological control of them. Predators, parasites, diseases and pheromones. The latter I was once covered with by accident, leading to my being followed around by male gypsy moths for weeks. :rolleyes: 

For what little it's worth, I tend towards disagreeing with spraying. It only knocks them down temporarily and kills too many of the native critters. Or should I say I wish there was a viable alternative.

Amazing that 30 years later we are still fighting them.

PS, do not touch them or allow animals to. Those hairs will go right through your skin.

6. I found this out the hard way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.