Is this a gypsy moth larva?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a better picture.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A Virginia Tech entomologist has confirmed that it is a gypsy moth larva, and there is a known infestation in our area. We'll need to request airborne spraying next spring.

I was about to type, yep that's what you have there.

I battled the gypsy moth for several years when I worked in a Dept. of Agriculture field lab.

Ie, I've seen millions of them. :Dizzy: I've walked in forests where it sounded like a light rain, but was really the sound of their droppings, etc. falling through the leaves.

We did research into biological control of them. Predators, parasites, diseases and pheromones. The latter I was once covered with by accident, leading to my being followed around by male gypsy moths for weeks. :rolleyes:

For what little it's worth, I tend towards disagreeing with spraying. It only knocks them down temporarily and kills too many of the native critters. Or should I say I wish there was a viable alternative.

Amazing that 30 years later we are still fighting them.

PS, do not touch them or allow animals to. Those hairs will go right through your skin.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom