Is this a gypsy moth larva?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pa, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty Shot.
  2. Here's a better picture.

3. hairy little bugger. how about a shot after the big change? you'll just have to follow it around. :cool:

4. A Virginia Tech entomologist has confirmed that it is a gypsy moth larva, and there is a known infestation in our area. We'll need to request airborne spraying next spring.
  5. I was about to type, yep that's what you have there.

I battled the gypsy moth for several years when I worked in a Dept. of Agriculture field lab.

Ie, I've seen millions of them. :Dizzy: I've walked in forests where it sounded like a light rain, but was really the sound of their droppings, etc. falling through the leaves.

We did research into biological control of them. Predators, parasites, diseases and pheromones. The latter I was once covered with by accident, leading to my being followed around by male gypsy moths for weeks. :rolleyes:

For what little it's worth, I tend towards disagreeing with spraying. It only knocks them down temporarily and kills too many of the native critters. Or should I say I wish there was a viable alternative.

Amazing that 30 years later we are still fighting them.

PS, do not touch them or allow animals to. Those hairs will go right through your skin.
  6. I found this out the hard way.