Is this a scam????

Doesn't quit fit the mold, but I think he's trying to scam me.

What do you think? I love his signature too....hmmm

Here is his second email to me.

Hi Drew,

My username on xxxxxxxx is xxxxxxx.
I just joined today as I'm taking a community class and want to get more serious into this hobby.

My shipping address is xxxxxxxx Ave, Markham, Ontario L6B0G7 (appers to ba a construction site for a new sub-division on google maps but could have houses by now)

If you can let me know how much is shipping that'd be great as well.

Also, a few more questions about the item (excuse my terminology if it makes no sense as I'm really a beginner)
When was it purchased and do you still have the orig. receipt?
And for the specifications, ********************?

Also, do you mind telling me what it's currently set to ?

Just to confirm I would be paying xxx$ US + whatever you determine shipping to be, correct?

Thks vm,
Arthur

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
- Elbert Hubbard
------------------

well, if you're selling the item, wait for hiim to pay you first before you ship it out. if you got the money, then its not a scam... i'm assuming you're going through paypal?

Well quite frankly my home address was added to Google maps about a year ago, and my house has been there for 7 years. Even my GPS in my car doesn't reconize my street. It could be legit...but just to be on the safe side...get yourself a PAYPAL account...it's the best way to do business.

I told him I would only except US postal MO and this is what he said...

"didn't realize u only accepted US Postal MO's.... that might be an issue unless Canada Post issues those...

So you don't even accept MO's from major canadian banks???

I work at Scotia Bank so I could get a US money order quite easily, just not one from USPS.

Either way let me know.

Thks vm,
Arthur"

The postal code puts me at a rural residence in Markham.
I guess that it comes down to being comfortable with someone who is not an "established" buyer with history.
Maybe you can get a name and phone # and see if it all checks out with the address.

Some of the biggest theives are very convincing. Of course I don't trust very many people.

I don't think you'll need to worry about a USPS/non-USPS money order. If he can get one from Scotiabank it'll be just as good. He can get one in US funds and it'll take some time to clear on your end, but just tell him that you won't ship the lens until it clears. I was sweating for about a week when my MO for a 200/2 lens was being cleared, but it turned out fine in the end.

Being from Toronto, I know there's a lot of development up in Markham and Google Maps doesn't get updated that often. My girlfriend's place in Markham was a pile of dirt on Google Maps for almost a year. Anyway, you can trust a money order from a major CDN bank, as the money gets withdrawn IMMEDIATELY from their account and is held by the bank until it's cleared by your bank.

Thanks for the input.

It's nice to hear from someone in the area that can legitimize the area as well as the bank.

you have nothing to worry about because you're the seller. just wait for the money and see if it clears, if it does. ship it. any Money order works. just go to the bank right when you get it, and they can see if its real or not. if the bank clears it, you're good to ship. i'm not quite sure about that bank, but i've had money orders through different banks and its legit. i never ship until i get the money first.

My general policy with strangers is to only accept PayPal from an account with a confirmed address or US Postal Money order. The risk with money orders or cashiers checks (from Canada or elsewhere) is if they turn out to be fraudulent. If you just deposit at your bank and it later bounces, the money will come back out of your account which could be too late if you've already shipped the item. So if you go this route find out from your bank how long you need to wait to confirm it has definitely cleared.

The nice thing about a USPS money order is that you can cash it at the post office. Granted, going to the post office is about as much fun as pulling teeth, but at least you know for sure that you have your money before shipping out.

money orders are one of the oldest scams in the book

the bank cashes it, you ship, bank calls you a week later to tell you its fraud and you're SOL

sometimes they even send you extra to cover shipping and have you send them some change

paypal is the only way to go, a couple percent is worth not waiting for mail to arrive, checks to clear, maybe be real, etc....paypal is just as much a convenience and protection for sellers as for buyers

Scotia is the Washington Mutual or Wachovia of Canada. It's a real bank and if they issue the MO, it will be good. Just get the money first. It's that simple.

if he only has MO to offer, then just take it and let the bank clear it. it takes about 3-4 business days until it clears. just inform the buyer that you're doing this.

D

drjiveturkey

Like other say, use either paypal or google checkout. If he is paying by money order, wait 2 weeks for it to clear before shipping unless you can confirm the money order is legit.

My general policy with strangers is to only accept PayPal from an account with a confirmed address or US Postal Money order. The risk with money orders or cashiers checks (from Canada or elsewhere) is if they turn out to be fraudulent. If you just deposit at your bank and it later bounces, the money will come back out of your account which could be too late if you've already shipped the item. So if you go this route find out from your bank how long you need to wait to confirm it has definitely cleared.

The nice thing about a USPS money order is that you can cash it at the post office. Granted, going to the post office is about as much fun as pulling teeth, but at least you know for sure that you have your money before shipping out.

Exactly. Everyone selling online should know this. It happens all the time; banks clear money orders then later find them fraudulent and take the money back FROM the person who cashed it.

Also, even with checks, know that there is a difference between "released" and "cleared".

Whatever you are selling; I'm sure you can find someone more local and willing to go through normal means to pay. Not worth the risk, move on.

paypal is the only way to go, a couple percent is worth not waiting for mail to arrive, checks to clear, maybe be real, etc....paypal is just as much a convenience and protection for sellers as for buyers

Don't bet the farm on that either. Check out this post I just made in another PP thread. You are however correct that money orders are half a scam waiting to happen. USPS ONLY as they will cash it and not hold you responsable.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=1953413#post1953413

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom