1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is this all we get from Photokina?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by danielbaer, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I was expecting some more af-s primes, all there has been so far is the 50 1.4. It is a week long event, correct? So there are three more days, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2. I love these posts!
    "They released the Gravity Negator, but I was really hoping for the the Time Machine. And the cloak of Invisibility only comes in Large and Medium. I need a Small. What kinda crap is that?"
    No matter what they produce or release, it's never enough.

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    You have a point, but I do understand the OP, because there have been so many sayings and rumors about a 85mm f/1.4 AF-S and a new 70-200 VRII, ....of course you can say do not listen to that, but Nikon also "miss" to make a 1.4 WA in AF - the only one is the 28mm f/1.4, and that lens is discontinued, and now Canon is out with a mark II in 24mm f/1.4.

What can we learn ? - never listen to rumors - but that is hard:biggrin:

4. I was not intending to be negative, I was just wondering if it was normal for new items to come out later in the show. Besides, what good is a gravity negator without a new 400mm 3.5?

Oh yes, I almost forgot, everyone knows that invisibility cloaks are one-size fits all.

5. wrong side of the bed huh
    a little harsh don't you think
    maybe there's an opening over at dpreview for you:confused: 

6. Nikon's habit in the past has been to announce everything at the beginning of the show, and usually before the show opens. It'll be a massive surprise if anything else is announced at all, even a firmware upgrade. It's a sure bet that there are no new lenses coming during the show.

7. I do wonder what the Nikon product development market is thinking. There's been huge clamor for a year or more for many fixed lenses from fast wide angles to updates of classics like the 85/1.4, to nano-coated fast sports/event zooms like the 70-200/2.8 optimized for FX.

And they bring out a new 50/1.4 and the rumor mill is working extra shifts with medium format rumors?

I don't get it.

Good thing I'm trying to save a little money lol. :smile:

8. So why diss photokina and make a announcement 1-2 months from now ? (lets assume Nikon still have a few more lenses to announce)

I was expecting them to announce ALOT more during photokina. Celebrating 75 year with a 50/1,4 AF-S lens seems just silly to me. Not that im in dire need for any new lenses, but you know... lol

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    If you can't make good shots out of the lenses you have now...........

:tongue:

10. Well to be hones, im not in the market for any new lenses really, regardless if Nikon announce them or not, since they all gonna be AF anyway , and im not to crazy about af lol.

But that doesnt mean i didnt expect Nikon to fills some gaps. .-)

Only Nikon lens i want (dont need right now) is the 200/2 and probebly gonna need the new 85/PC for work soon.

Kindest

11. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Well, for 2008 so far we have:
    D700
    D90
    AFS 18-105VR
    24/3.5 PC
    45/2.8 PC
    85/2.8 PC
    AFD 60/2.8 micro
    AFS 50/1.4
    Given the number of primes we got in previous years, this is an outstanding effort, and the year is not over. I'm sure we will see many more in the next 12 months.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

u don't need the likes of Photokina to roll out new goodies ...the beat goes on!

;-)))

13. I was hoping for some first hand impressions of the new 50/1.4 but I guess there aren't any samples on the show floor?

14. Also add:

D60
    16-85VR

So 3 bodies, 7 lenses. That's a busy year for them, matching 2007's output, and with three months to go.

I'm sure folks are disappointed, but unfortunately the rumors get out of control. A lot of the rumors aren't really based on any good information (e.g. leaks from reliable sources). Just "wish lists" and "it's logical that Nikon is going to ..." ideas. E.g. 85/1.4 AF-S, 70-200VR, 24-120 VR II, fast wide angle AF-S, 80-400 VR II, 105/2 AF-S, 70-200/4, 16-70/4, etc. Someone's going to get disappointed.

15. Indeed. A text book classic.

mike

16. err, make that two bodies (there are only 2 on the list and I can't think of a 3rd). :wink:

17. MBlue72

MBlue72

May 30, 2007
    USA
    I agree 100%. In fact, I think you are putting it pretty diplomatically. "Rude" is a word that comes to mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.