1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

is this caused by dust?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by landa321, Aug 2, 2009.

1. landa321

landa321

Apr 8, 2008
    Florida
    this dark spot towards the upper right side of my images just showed up yesterday. i am hoping it is just dust that got in there. i have confirmed it is not on my lens because it happens with two different lenses. hopefully this is something i can get taken care of with a good professional cleaning of my body?

thanks in advance

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2812/dsc0119x.jpg

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

You have a speck on your sensor. Search for sensor cleaning and you find lots of advice.

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Yes........you have dust on your camera's sensor. You can try to blow it off with a Gitzo Rocket blower to see if it sets it free, or bring it in for a sensor cleaning. The other thing is you can purchase a cleaning kit and do it yourself (it you're brave).

4. landa321

landa321

Apr 8, 2008
    Florida
    thanks guys. i think i'll take it in for the cleaning.

5. 30 second job with a specgrabber wand :) 

6. For years and years, I have gotten by with the Gitzo Rocket blower. Get one and keep it with you. As long as you change lenses you will get a bunny and at the most inopportune time, air works well for me.

7. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Tom,

Would you describe your technique?

I have the medium Giottos rocket, I think the large might be more useful.

8. Jim I just set the shutter to bulb, being very careful to not let go while the blower nozzle is within the travel of the mirror. With good light, I slide the nozzle in while holding it against one side of the opening. When I have the nozzle end as close as I want to get to the sensor, I slide a finger down the side of the nozzle to the camera body.
    THIS ACTS AS A STOP, and hopefully keeps me from accidentally hitting the sensor, which I assume would be a fatal error,:smile: Then turn the camera with the opening down, and give it a vigorous few blows. I have only needed a wet cleaning on a D70 that had a real sticky on it. Hope this helps.

Just a note, I assume everyone knows not use compressed air. Also if you Google there will be some horror stories about blowers, some have had foreign matter inside, maybe from manufacturing. If you buy one, maybe it would be wise to test it on a mirror, I have not heard of any problems with Gitzo.

9. Garth

Garth

Jan 25, 2009
    Lancashire. UK.
    To be safer mount it on a tripod facing down, easier than hand holding.

10. An alternative to the "bulb method", is the intended method designed by the manufacturer: Make sure you have a full battery and then go to the setup method and select "Lock Mirror Up For Cleaning". When you shut the camera off, the mirror will close.

While the mirror is open, use the rocket blower or equivalent and pump a lot of air across the sensor to dislodge any transient dust. If you look with a light - you should be able to see if you got most of it or not. Keep doing it until it looks pretty clean. Shut the camera down and throw a lens on. Take an OOF picture stopped all the way down, at a solid color (wall, sky, etc.) and then look for any specks you missed.

There may be stubborn dust and specks that won't just blow off, and for those you need to go to the mechanical arena. But for most cases - air seems to work.

Blowing dust off is quite an important basic technique to know.

Tak

11. Glad you mentioned that, I could not remember it, as I never use. It is the far safer way to do this, esp. the first time.

12. I'd say all the time Tom!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

13. menos

menos

Nov 11, 2008
    Shanghai
    Slow down the horses!
    I have had these kind of specks occasionally on some of my frames too.

After cleaning my lenses (I do this after the shoot, before storing them for the next occasion), they are all gone.

I never ever cleaned any sensor on my bodies (D300 ~ 30.000 frames 1 1/2 y, D3 ~ 15.000 frames 1/2 y).

I do change lenses during shootings a lot in all kinds of conditions.
    I have found, that specks on the exposed elements of my TCs can cause this kind of defect in the picture.

I have thought dirty sensor very quickly too, but found the opposite.
    Before touching the sensor, make sure, you do some testing with clean glass!

14. Question for everyone here: is there any like certain amount of time in which you should clean your sensor, such as every ____ shots?

15. Charlie -
    It is pretty much just a "clean it when it gets dirty" kind of thing. Quite often the sensor has dust on it and you just don't notice it because the contents of the picture hides it. As such, every so often I will take a picture, as I mentioned previously, just to look for dust just so that it doesn't "become noticeable" at an inopportune time. But generally - clean it when you notice it to be dirty. It really depends on the circumstances of what lenses you are using, how often you are using them, what conditions you are changing them in, etc. Thus it would vary by circumstances as to an average time between cleanings.

16. Thank you very much Tak! ive had it for a little over a year and i just wanted to make sure i shouldnt have cleaned it at some point haha :smile:

17. You must uses a changing bag:biggrin:.

18. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I'm still waiting to get a speck of dust like that on the sensor of my D700 to see if the self cleaning feature really works. :biggrin:

19. Tom,

Do you mean Giotto's rocket blower, cause that's what I've been using.

20. Thanks!! yes that is what i meant, fingers and brain did not match:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.