Is this sharp enough?

From my wife's garden. Captured this with 105 micro. I don't know much about sharpening technique. I used Adobe photoshop element 3.0 to sharpen this a little.

If this is not sharp enough, I would appreciate sharpening tips from you guys. I do have Photoshop 6.

sgt5405b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sarhento

What were the settings you used for this picture? f stop, shutter speed, iso, was the pic taken hand held, tripod? Was the focus point in the very center of the photo?
My best,
Jerry Snider

Hi Jerry,

Settings:
f stop: f/18
shutter: 1/30
tripod was used
focus: center, auto

Taken raw and converted to jpeg.

hope that helps.

sarhento

This is strictly a personal opinion and I'm usually wrong, so take it for what it is worth :lol: . Re sharpness, the things that are in focus seem to be decently sharp. You have a good exposure, good color. A nice shot, good composition. Re whether it is sharp, I think you have to decide what is the end result you desire. Assuming that the flower is oriented in the vertical position instead of lying on its side (as shown here) the first thing my eyes are drawn to in the photo are the yellow anthers and these seem to be out of focus. The two small whitish "lips" at the base of the flower (again, assume it is oriented vertically) appear to be in focus, as well as the base of the clump of white filaments (the thingies the yellow anthers are attached to). Also, the base of the red "petal" (not really a petal) that is below the flower seems to be in focus, as well as much the red "petal" on the left (if oriented vertically). If a soft look is wanted, you picture is quite good. However, my (very feeble :roll: !) mind wants to focus on something in the picture, and I struggle to find that something to key in on. This flower is geometrically complex and has a lot of depth, a difficult thing to photograph close up and get everything (anything!!) remotely in focus. I likely would have shot closed down, then open up a couple of stops, then again, then again, etc. to experiment for the look I might want on that particular flower. However, to stop way down fill flash might be necessary. Once you get a feel for this flower you will get a good grip on what to do in the future.
I hope this helps and perhaps others will contribute as well, perhaps take me to task. Then we both learn something!! Admittedly, I am looking at the photo from a botanist's perspective and not as an artist--don't have an artistic bone in my body!!
My best,
Jerry Snider

Latest threads

Top Bottom