Is this the creamy bokeh that the 85 1.4 is famed for?

p1017842124-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Only read up on bokeh recently - would this count? :confused:

I don't see too many donut holes??!?! And that's a good thing right?

yes.... exactly!
wonderful shot

if it matters to you... i think i'd crop some off the left
this image would lend itself to one of UNCLE FRANK'S "square shooter" results

make this one square... it would be great

p1017842124-4.jpg

The child is so dramatically rendered that I'm having a tough time tearing my eyes away to check out the background.

The background was so near and so harsh that even the 85/1.4 at f/2 couldn't churn all of those bright highlights into cream. This is what I have in mind when I think of the Cream Machine.

67434408.b6FtuAlo.DSC_2443lr.jpg

Wow - thank you guys for the great comments! I am in LOVE with this lens. I was taking photos at the weekend and found I just didn't want to take it off the camera. I've still got a lot to learn but I love it! All these pictures were taken in the car park outside of our office!! The "cream machine" managed to disguise that fact wonderfully

Her eye's are v cute but I did get a little help from a variation on Sonya's eye pop technique

Greg - I think the square idea is a good one - do you mean to crop from the right? You mention left but then that would mean taking out the Mommy right?

Here's one of her sister - the "cream machine" turned the grey dirty floor of the car parking lot into a creamy blue backdrop!

p378345515-4.jpg

The child is so dramatically rendered that I'm having a tough time tearing my eyes away to check out the background.

The background was so near and so harsh that even the 85/1.4 at f/2 couldn't churn all of those bright highlights into cream. This is what I have in mind when I think of the Cream Machine.

Exactly. This is about the only situation where the 105 DC is clearly better.

But anyway, that shot is phantastic.

Cheers

Wow, what a great shot that first one is!!! I actually really love the composition as is; she is just peeking from the corner of the frame. Actually it is a great image for text on the right; like a greeting card or something. Very sweet and what a doll she is. While it is not the "creamy" background indicative of the 85 1.4, the bokeh you see here is still interesting, but not creamy.

However THIS shot you took is all about the creamy bokeh. Very nice and what a shot.

p378345515-4.jpg

More thanks! I love the support and constructive comments on the cafe! I guess the first one isn't totally creamy bokeh because I was too close to the background - I will now work on getting really creamy bokeh :).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom