Is this the creamy bokeh that the 85 1.4 is famed for?

Discussion in 'People' started by leahp26, Jul 28, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    p1017842124-4.jpg

Only read up on bokeh recently - would this count? :confused:

I don't see too many donut holes??!?! And that's a good thing right?

2. augustai

augustai

Mar 18, 2008
    Singapore
    Nice!!

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    :) Thanks!

4. yes.... exactly!
    wonderful shot

if it matters to you... i think i'd crop some off the left
    this image would lend itself to one of UNCLE FRANK'S "square shooter" results

make this one square... it would be great

5. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
  6. VERY well done.
    The "Cream Machine" strikes again :)

7. KG72

KG72 Guest

Very nice... love the eyes.

8. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    forget the bokeh! ..those eyes!

9. The child is so dramatically rendered that I'm having a tough time tearing my eyes away to check out the background.

The background was so near and so harsh that even the 85/1.4 at f/2 couldn't churn all of those bright highlights into cream. This is what I have in mind when I think of the Cream Machine.

[​IMG]

10. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Wow - thank you guys for the great comments! I am in LOVE with this lens. I was taking photos at the weekend and found I just didn't want to take it off the camera. I've still got a lot to learn but I love it! All these pictures were taken in the car park outside of our office!! The "cream machine" managed to disguise that fact wonderfully

Her eye's are v cute but I did get a little help from a variation on Sonya's eye pop technique

Greg - I think the square idea is a good one - do you mean to crop from the right? You mention left but then that would mean taking out the Mommy right?

Here's one of her sister - the "cream machine" turned the grey dirty floor of the car parking lot into a creamy blue backdrop!

p378345515-4.jpg

11. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Looks good to me and what a cute kid.

12. Exactly. This is about the only situation where the 105 DC is clearly better.

But anyway, that shot is phantastic.

Cheers

13. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow, what a great shot that first one is!!! I actually really love the composition as is; she is just peeking from the corner of the frame. Actually it is a great image for text on the right; like a greeting card or something. Very sweet and what a doll she is. While it is not the "creamy" background indicative of the 85 1.4, the bokeh you see here is still interesting, but not creamy.

However THIS shot you took is all about the creamy bokeh. Very nice and what a shot.

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    That's exactly what it is. Some stunning shots there Leah.

15. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    More thanks! I love the support and constructive comments on the cafe! I guess the first one isn't totally creamy bokeh because I was too close to the background - I will now work on getting really creamy bokeh :).