Is this the place for Musical Instruments (Guitars)??

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Brew, May 5, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

Anyway being a newbie to Digital SLR and photography in general I decided to shoot some of my guitars.

The ones that where done with the D-70/50mm 1.4/SB800 bounced are;
    Gib12, 014, 017
    Martin HD40 TP 01, 03 and 04 and all the Paragon shots.

Any tips to improve the quality for the next time I shoot them would be appreciated.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bhlandry2000/my_photos

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey, those are nice Bruce! I have shot some instruments, but nowhere nearly as detailed a job as you have done here.

I like the way you emphasized the color of the guitars in relation to the background - they really stand out! You might want to be sure that you're not clipping the red channel though, especially on the shots of the Les Paul. Unless, of course, you are doing that for effect. ;)

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks, yep I think it's a little clip towards the red, more so on the Paragon then the LP. I'll have to go look at the original and see what I started from. The Les Paul's color is called Butterscotch and should lean more towards yellow but the back of the neck is actually pretty close.
    The Marting is pretty much dead on to what it looks like in person with a antiqued toner applied to the finish.

4. Nice

I really like these, Bruce. The guitars and the pics. I've always found it quite difficult to take photos of guitars - the shape of the whole doesn't lend itself to a 3x2 ratio, and I always end up concentrating on details. But these are inspiring, and I may break out my D35 (Martin, not new Nikon model) and try again.

5. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks much.

The old D35 with the in your face thundering bass, strong mids and slightly muted crystal highs. Those are sweet guitars and I almost bought one but then Martin came out with the Tom Petty model. My TP doesn't have the low end like the D35 but it has enough and is balanced. 8)