Is this too dangerous to try?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by petert053, Dec 24, 2005.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hi all...

I've got a simple problem with my D200. The release catch for the pop-up flash sticks in the open position so that every so often, the button on the body is stuck flush and recessed. With my finger, a light touch sets it free and back to its normal "ready" position.

I was thinking that a very little bit of WD-40 would clear this up in a heartbeat... I was thinking I'd spray a little puddle's-worth and use a toothpick to apply about a drop to the release catch. But, do think that's wise to do? Not that I think this would void a warrentee, but do you think there's something critical under there that might get dripped on if it leaks into the body?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't know ...But surely not wd 40.

Maybe an electronics type thing. Not a spray either..

But not sure anything is safe.

Ask Bjorn.

3. JimTech

JimTech Guest

Plastic lube

You might try looking around for plastic compatible lubes used in hobbies. I don't directly use them but ... I found:

Labelle Gear Lubricant Plastic Compatible 1/2 oz

You should probably take a look at this site, they have camera lubes.

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/text-lubricants.htm

They actually list one that Canon uses:
    98073 Lubricant, Photolub #015J for plastic

The trick, all will cost you a fair amount for the single application. :8Ball:

So, you might want to try going to a camera store (a real one not a mall based one) or a hobby store since they may actually have them on the shelf for service work and be willing to "loan" you a drop or two.

4. I would get with nikon FIRST! It may be a flaw and it is too new to take chances with. They will surely jump at fixing that for you.
    dave

5. shootman

shootman Guest

Don't worry about it. As WD-40 was designed as a water dispersing agent for the nose cones of missiles, I'm sure the Nikon Warranty department won't have a problem with you using it. It may just free up those sticky rubber seals that prevent water and dirt from getting inside the body. Heck it may even help electrons free themselves from following the engineered pathways originally intended by the design.

Now, can you tell I'm joking? Please send your camera to me and I'll have a go at it, and if your answer is no then that should also be your answer to spraying anything inside your camera. Otherwise I'll expect it by Wednesday, UPS.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Do yourself a favor and call Nikon Technical Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Do it

Since that little release button is a non- electrical, mechanical button, I'd say iof you don't slop the WD all over the place, it'll fine just fine!. Heck, I've used that stuff on my hotshoe connection of the SC 29 extension cord AND on the hotshoe, and it IS an electrical connection!!

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

While you're at it, take some superglue and put that silly pop-up flash to its final resting position. Were I to purchase a D200, that would be my first action with the camera, like I did with both my D70 bodies.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Oh Bjorn,

You're such a purist! :wink: (not that there's anything wrong with that!) :Shocked: Merry Christmas buddy! :biggrin:

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I'm just practical. And same to you. - hopefully 2006 will be a productive year with your new tool (toy).

11. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Definitely contact Nikon first!!! If you turn the wd upsidedown and stare intensely at the fine print (inhale some first as it helps) you will see the hidden message that reads - Caution, if you can read this then you now know that wd stands for wrong, don't.

Even used sparingly, wd turns gummy and appears to absolutely hate cold temperatures. In a pinch, I used it to free up the cylinders on my car door and ignition - worked flawlessly until we had one of our rare cold snaps (I live in Tampa Florida), then the key took major force to turn and the return spring in the ignition was too weak to turn back the key after the car started. I rebuilt cylinders (as I should have done in the first place) and have not used wd 40 for anything since.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays too all
    Mark

12. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Just going to live with it

Hi all...

Well, it seems that the general concensus that WD-40 is a bad idea... so I'll live with it and call Nikon tech support when I find that it gets too anoying to live with.

Merry Christmas my friends!!