Is this too soft???

Discussion in 'People' started by kirchnel, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
  2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    you shot at ISO1600...

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    A little too grainey (noise) for that time of day. You should've had your ISO set at 200.

4. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the feedback. I had been manually setting my ISO at my guesses and then read an article from ken rockwell stating leave it at auto.
    I am testing to see if I can get the photo in the post so please excuse the repeat of the picture if it works!
    [​IMG]

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    pic shows up fine now. like Seneca said, ISO200 or ISO400 would work much better.

6. I read your other thread and all I can say is what others have already stated. This is a fairly decent lens when used correctly. I don't shoot above 400-800 ISO unless absolutely necessary and try to use this lens at f8 as often as I can since that seems to be the sweet spot.I shoot mostly landscapes and here's one from my 24-120:

7. Personally I don't like to use auto ISO as this makes every picture you take a surprise. I probably shoot 95% + of my pictures at ISO200. Your picture is not bad, is it straight out of the camera or did you do some post processing / sharpening? Also, the picture is very large and this results in it being resized by the Cafe software, which is not the best way to go. I suggest that you resize your own pictures to approximately 900 pixels on the longest side. This way you do not rely on others to do your sizing for you.

With DSLR photography, all images need some sharpening to overcome the anti-aliasing filter. You can do that in camera with a setting but most of us like to do our own sharpening in post processing. The lens you are using is reasonably good and will produce excellent images when used properly.

8. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    To follow up on what Gordon said, I do use auto ISO on my D80 but I like to set the maximum ISO that auto can use to 600 or 800. Then you can set the camera to ISO 100 and it will allow it to move up in ISO but not get so high that you have significant problems with grainy pictures.

9. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Gordon,
    Thanks for the input. It was pp through Nikon Capture just for the Levels. Actually straight from the camera the pictures were not contrasty enough. I don't do any sharpening in Capture as I have just starting using it and am not comfortable with the sharpening tools in that yet (I hate when pictures look oversharpened) so I thought I would sharpen in my old program Elements 5 which I am very comfortable with.
    a few people have responded on using "auto" but with caveats as you posted. I have already picked up some pointers and now have to go out and try it out!
    thanks again
    Lynda

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.