Island Park, Idaho

About an hour and a half from our home is a popular recreation area called Island Park. It's actually in part of the Yellowstone Caldera. There is an Idaho State Park there called Harriman Park. In the winter it has groomed trails for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The season is over now, but there is still plenty of snow there to enjoy (Island Park had a record snow fall this year). I had a hard winter with some health issues, but felt that I am strong enough now to give the snowshoeing a try. I only made it about half as far as usual, but that is a lot more than I could have done a month ago, so I'll take it. I got a new Black Rapid Strap, (Nicole Elliot edition) yesterday. I decided that I would carry my lightest gear which is my D5600. The new strap worked beautifully and I had no problems carrying the camera. (Next time I'll try the Z6 that I just purchased.) My biggest problem was that I couldn't see the LCD well in the bright sunlight. I could tell there were a few blinkies so I turned down the exposure, but when I got home, I realized all the photos were underexposed by about a stop. They were easily corrected.

No. 1. The trail started from this parking lot. You can see how much snow there still is here.

_56D3991.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No. 2 Walking along the Henry's Fork of the Snake River. In the winter this stretch of river is the winter home for a lot of swans. They've migrated north now.

_56D4004.jpg

No. 3

_56D4015.jpg

No. 4 This spot is really pretty earlier in the season. It's a little stream that empties into the Henry's Fork of the Snake River.

_56D4016.jpg

No. 5

_56D4018.jpg

No. 6

_56D4024.jpg

No. 7 About 3 feet of very dense snow in this area.

_56D4032.jpg

No. 8 Greg was so wonderful. I made it to the Railroad Ranch in the Park, but was too tired to walk all the way back. Greg walked back and brought the car closer to where I was. Here he is on his way back to finish seeing the sights with me. Can you see him way down on the trail?

_56D4048.jpg

No. 9 One of the vintage cabins in Railroad Ranch. This ranch was formerly owned by the famous Harriman Family.

_56D4056.jpg

No. 10 This cabin has a pretty view of the river.

_56D4060.jpg

No. 11 It was a great day!!

_56D4005.jpg

Are those cabins available for rent?
Are they open over the winter?

Cabin

Very nice scenery. Would like to see how it is like in warmer weather.

It’s beautiful all year. It’s a famous trout fishing area. They also offer horse riding expeditions. I did that years ago and it was fun. Somewhere I have some photos of the area in the summer, but I can’t find them right now. In early summer the mosquitoes are bad.

Are those cabins available for rent?
Are they open over the winter?

Cabin
The cabins are available for rent. Here is the park website. I saw info about rentals there.

Harriman | Idaho Parks & Recreation

Nice series Terri. Never been there in the winter, but have many fond memories of it in the summer. Was there once in early June on a bird watching trip and the mosquitos weren't bad at all.

Nice series Terri. Never been there in the winter, but have many fond memories of it in the summer. Was there once in early June on a bird watching trip and the mosquitos weren't bad at all.
That's good to hear. The year we were there in June it was horrible. Guess it varies from year to year.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
My biggest problem was that I couldn't see the LCD well in the bright sunlight. I could tell there were a few blinkies so I turned down the exposure, but when I got home, I realized all the photos were underexposed by about a stop.
This is where the Z6 will shine. You can preview your images in the EVF thus eliminating all the glare and brightness of the outdoor light. You can overlay the histogram on the preview and the live view as well so you can better insure proper exposure before you leave the location.

I've also been there in July and August and was happy to escape with my skin intact---even my Minnesota-born wife was amazed at the ferocity of those little buzzers!
It's not fun when you are there when they are bad. There will be a lot of standing water this spring with all the snow to melt and I bet they are going to be terrible.

This is where the Z6 will shine. You can preview your images in the EVF thus eliminating all the glare and brightness of the outdoor light. You can overlay the histogram on the preview and the live view as well so you can better insure proper exposure before you leave the location.
I agree. I will try carrying it next time and see if the heavier load hurts my back.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom