1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Island Spoonies - BIFs

Discussion in 'Merritt Island VI' started by DW Brewer, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

On February 4, LuisV, Stl Don, and myself took the boat ride out to the rookery. We got a little later start and the light quickly went from sweet to a little harsh. We won't even talk about the temps or wind chill on the ride out. Here are some of the many Spoonie BIF images I got (I'm finally getting around to PP some more folders around painting here at home).
    D300+Sigma 120-300, manual exposure.

-
    109412926.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-
    109412949.jpg

-
    109413009.jpg

2. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Dave,

Good job on getting them in the full sun -- seems like most of mine had some sort of shadow one way or another, LOL!

3. ditto on what Kristin said. The shadows can ruin a perfect shot - they did not ruin yours.

BTW, Dave, it is dead at Ft. Desoto today.

4. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Kristin & Allan:
    Okay; I'll "rat on myself" a little. No question about the presence of shadows in harsh light. I shoot a lot of sequences, and take the image that has the least offensive shadow. Provided I have "nailed the exposure," (and Allan knows what a stickler I am about correct exposure since I shoot manual virtually 100% of the time), I make use of a light touch in "shadows and Highlights" (rather than curves) to lessen the contrast and blend the shadows into the birghter parts of the exposure. I don't use layers (except to add the copyright text) so this is done as an integral part of my post-processing. This is a trick taught to me by my mentor; a professional events & wedding phgotographer in St. Louis. As I always said when I was teaching: "Live, learn, and pass it on."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.