ISO 1 million or higher camera?

Real Name
Phil
The sensor, which is 1,000 times more sensitive to light than the imaging sensors of most of today's cameras, gets this high photoresponse from its innovative structure.

It's made of graphene, a super strong carbon compound with a honeycomb structure that is as flexible as rubber, more conductive than silicon and which resists heat better than a diamond.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/18220-graphene-imagining-sensor-takes-clear-pictures.html

Wonder how long before it finds its way to our Nikons?
I can hear it now. Which is better, Graphene or CMOS???

I heard of it a few yrs ago. It's called black something and has effectively performances a quantum leap forward than actual sensors..

That's crazy. 2.8 lenses would become desireable for the bokeh only. It would change photography and the lens market in a big way . .

When my kids get older (and I finally become an old fart), they'll probably have a camera with this sensor and make fun of my D4, which is probably worth $10 with "Buy it Now" on eBay. :rolleyes:

I saw this article about a breakthrough with graphene and light gathering properties:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/02/25...ton-can-be-converted-into-multiple-electrons/

I'm not a genius, but it sounds like this was only recently discovered, MUCH TOO SOON to be put to use in photo sensors. Sounds like there's going to be a 10 year lag in getting the discovery into practical use.

Makes me pine for the old days, when ASA 10 was the rule of the day, and 25 was really pushing it.

I'd give my left nut for a DSLR with a native ISO of, oh,......... say..... 5.

I saw this article about a breakthrough with graphene and light gathering properties:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/02/25...ton-can-be-converted-into-multiple-electrons/

I'm not a genius, but it sounds like this was only recently discovered, MUCH TOO SOON to be put to use in photo sensors. Sounds like there's going to be a 10 year lag in getting the discovery into practical use.

There was talk a 5 years ago[?] about something 500X more sensitive which a few of us have been wondering about for a while.

Makes me pine for the old days, when ASA 10 was the rule of the day, and 25 was really pushing it.

I'd give my left nut for a DSLR with a native ISO of, oh,......... say..... 5.

Ah, an avant-gardist, I see, using this newfangled "ASA" standard for film speed. What's wrong with the time tested DIN standard?

There was talk a 5 years ago[?] about something 500X more sensitive which a few of us have been wondering about for a while.

Combine that with graphene, throw in that non-bayer sensor layout (50% pixels unfiltered luminosity) that gives another 2x boost and I don't see why we can't hit the one billion ISO.

At that point all photographers will turn into smokers as the light of a single cigarette should be enough to light up the interior of entire cathedral. ("Lighting one up" just got a new meaning).

Using an assumed ISO "of today's highest cameras" to be 3200, I calculated 1000 x more sensitive to be ISO3.2M.

At ISO3.2M, you are about 10 stops better than ISO3200.

Playing along with this scenario, if you were shooting at night @ f2.8 ISO3200 1/2 sec. with a camera today, you'd be able to shoot one of these sensors @ f2.8 ISO3.2M, 1/1000 sec.

Can you imagine this?!?!

All I know is that at these levels, it will obviously be really noisy, especially if you put it into a DX camera. And those pesky 4/3 and smaller, no way. These suckers will be so noisy you could never use them in a church for a wedding, the noise would just leap off the sensor. I mean, c'mon now, we ALL know you can't even shoot a D4 at better than ISO 800 and not have just a horrible noisy picture now, don't we?

( Hmmm, what the heck does all that mean, anyway? :wink: )

Progress, what a wonderful beast.

Real Name
John
This might move into consumer goods pretty fast since there is a lot of research going into producing more complex semiconductors.

All I know is that at these levels, it will obviously be really noisy, especially if you put it into a DX camera.
Why would you say that? Noise depends on how sensitive a sensor is and if it's 1000X more sensitive you should get 1000X the iso for the same noise.
iso 100000 should have the same noise as the present iso 100.

He was being sarcastic. I'll believe it when I see it. Not only does a new tech need to be engineered into something usable, it also has to be economically viable. Nikon is proof because they have lots of patents but haven't made them because it would probably make a loss to the company.

Why would you say that? Noise depends on how sensitive a sensor is and if it's 1000X more sensitive you should get 1000X the iso for the same noise.
iso 100000 should have the same noise as the present iso 100.

Don't forget the :wink:, a bit tongue in cheek, some sarcasm.

I am absolutely sure that there will be a number of folks who make this claim seriously, or at least seriously to them. If you look back a short while, let's pick 5 years, who would have thought that we could have a DSLR, any DSLR, that could capture images at ISO3200 that are virtually noise free? And at 25600 that are usable. I agree, we really can't predict what can be done, until it actually is done. But I don't think that will stop those who want to complain about technology before they actually use it.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom