1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Iso 4.5k

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. my monthly ISO fix (from Sunday's visit to the raptor hospital)

d3 + 80-400vr (yea the 80-400 that needs replacing :smile:) 
    [​IMG]

MP, f7.1, 1/640 ISO 4K (not too shaby on the Bokeh for 7.1)
    The best thing about the D3 is we can now list the ISO in K units......

[​IMG]

iso3.6K
    [​IMG]

ISO 4.5K
    [​IMG]

2. replacing? I would be happy with this shot at ISO 4500. I'll tell you what, send it over to me and let me babysit that SLOW peice of glass you have. :biggrin:

3. the D3 is simply awesome all the way to 6.4K and 4.5k is childs play for it

i laff everytime i read a post about how bad we need a new 80-400 or a better 70-200 or afs on the 85 1.4....
    I know alot of people that wait for the new lens....
    I keep shooting

4. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    oh boy, shots like these are making me drool for the d700/d3

Did you really need 4.5k ISO or are you just teasing us? :p 

5. shot in total shade w/ an sb800 for fill
    i wanted f7.1 and 1/640 and used Auto ISO

I prob could have opened up the lens some more but the 80-400 is sweet at 7.1 and the 1/640 is in case the bird attacks the handler :eek:  or me

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

right on Randy ...WOW!

7. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Excellent pics. Out of curiosity, how was your SB 800 set up?

8. thx
    ttl-bl-fp
    head straight down
    ev=0

and the fp caused me to underexpose alot but d-lighting in nx2 saved the day
    next time i will try no fp and 1/250

9. the thing is a technological breakthru.....and w/ the 85 1.4 attached it's like a night scope, it sees what my eyes can't even see
    i love firing a pic in near total darkness and then looking at the lcd and it's WOW where did the light come from

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

gosh ..i got the glass, now for the gizmo!
    urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    :eek: 

11. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Amazing shots, Randy.

12. Beautiful stuff Randy!
    Just rubbing salt on the wounds for us lowly D80 shooters.
    Fred

13. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Love those shots... boy a D3, D700 would be nice in my bag.

I can only dream right?

14. Randy, I have been on the fence with three particular lenses. These shots aren't helping either. I have just sold a ton of my gear to try and fund one of these. 80-400VR, 70-200VR or the 300 f/4 AFS. I had so much fun shooting my nephews LL game that my next lens will be for that but I have also lusted for the 70-200VR since I joined this site. Some my say its a bit to short depending on your position, but it would double up as an event lens for candids/potraits too. My budget only allows me around $1600 or so and I still have to recover from a damaged shoulder before I can hand hold one of these bad boys.

15. i have all 3 and would be hard pressed to pick just one to keep....if you wanna chat ping me...
    Rule out the 80-400 right away because of no AFS....
    The 300/4 is a sweet lens even at f4 but f4 is no 2.8 and the 300/4 is a hunter in lower light...
    btw my right arm is a mess after surgery last year and holding any of these is not a problem....the 300/4 is the easiest because no zoom ring means your left hand is dedicated to just holding

16. thx
    thx fred....actually trying to sell some d3's for nikon since i am on commission :smile:

thx
    how about adding a name to that sig line....i hate saying thx thrdprophet

17. Great shots! If I could afford it it would breathe new life in to my 80-400VR!

18. Amazing Randy!

19. thx Alex
    the 80-400 was a good lens on the d200....it's a new lens on the D3 but not so much for better IQ, actually not at all for better IQ....it focuses much faster but the biggest diff is stopped down is easier now because of higher iso-s...

in good light on the d200 it was a very impressive lens

20. thx Joey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.