ISO 800 noise with D2X

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by nfoto, Dec 10, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The noise @800 with D2X really is just terrible, how on earth could such poor performance be explained away?

v_31131.

D2X, 800 ISO, 80-200/2.8 ED (AIS)

We must all switch to D200 :biggrin:

2. yea right

3. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Not a fair example! We can't be expected to get the exposure right. :wink:

4. Nice Post-processing?

Besides the point that the D2x is actaully very good at ISO800 in the right hands, any post-processing on that pic?

(I know the answer is yes:wink: , the next question would be...could you share it with us?)

Noise, High ISO & other techie stuff aside....an evocative image in its own right...nice!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  5. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice shot,would like to know ,you did any PP work?

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Sodium vapour street lamps are always unpleasant, so some additional processing to get the colours on the right track - yes of course. But this was unintentional.

In fact, I miscalculated the sunset time and arrived too late at the location for the sky to have any colour left, so obviously the colour cast was both strong and annoying as well (shot in winter, when we live in a gloomy half-light for a few hours each day, then it gets real dark :frown: ). But nothing that couldn't be fixed afterwards.

PS: shot with a beta-level D2X, so when Nikon claimed at that time they hadn't got their act together as far as noise abatement of the D2X was concerned, one is slightly puzzled about the Oriental modesty :biggrin:

7. Hi Bjørn,

Maybe the good thing is that you came to late i find the black sky in this picture feel right for this photo. Do you spend alot of time in post processing for most of your photo's. Or do you only some simple adjustments to the photo's.

And how long was the shutter open. Because it looks like the person walked back and forwarded there for few seconds.

Thanks for sharing this photo.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I use on average 15 sec (measured) of post processing for each photo. Won't say this is extensive :biggrin:

The exposure here was 5 seconds.

9. Is it normal when you use bulb on the D2X that it takes longer before the photo shows on the back of the LCD. Because with my D70 it is very quickly on the back on my screen after using few seconds in bulb mode. But with my D2X it can take sometimes many seconds.

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This will depend on whether you have engaged long exposure noise reduction. I have this feature on, so a 5 sec exposure means an additional 5 sec delay after the shot has been captured.

When you shoot with exposure times set to 60 minutes or more, you can listen to an entire CD before the camera is ready for the next shot. A drawback or a benefit depending on your present mood :biggrin:

11. Wow i didn't know that. Thanks Bjorn for the information.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What it's doing is taking a second exposure with the shutter closed, then subtracting that exposure (just the long exposure noise - looks like hot pixels) from the original exposure. Be careful to keep the camera at the same temperature while the 'dark' exposure is being made. If you warm it up, or cool it off, the dark exposure will have more/less noise than the actual exposure, and you will get black spots or incomplete noise removal.