ISO Auto

I normally don't use ISO Auto, but wondered how it would work with the D2x.

I set it to ISO Auto in the menu and it shows Auto on the rear display with "100" below it.

However, every photo I've shot has been at 100 on Auto even in lower light, it shoots at 100. Most were 1/60th at F4 using a flash and even without a flash, it stuck to ISO 100.

I read the manual and it said that when set to Auto, the camera will increase ISO when needed. Does this mean that all the low light shots I took last night without flash were accomplished at ISO 100 or am I missing some other setting?

Are you using manual for aperture and SS? You may need to in order to get the ISO to change to make correct exposure. Not sure. I will have to check the manual myself.

Try manual and see if you can get the ISO to change while the aperture and SS stay the same. The manual is very vague about how this works exactly and doesn't specify the conditions under which the ISO would change to give what it describes as "optimal exposure"

B

bpetterson

Auto ISO when used by me.
I want say 1/500 th sec.
So I set ISO to say 100.
Then proceed to shoot at Shutter Priority.
Camera makes decision for what ISO to use.
Also the ISO has smaller steps than manually setting.

Birger

Following up what Birger just posted, Auto ISO works in the M, S, and A modes for sure (assuming that it is the same as the D2H). I have used it extensively in the M mode, but grew less enamored since the only thing that could change in this config was the ISO (sometimes I would get high ISO values when I would have preferred to just drop the shutter speed a bit).

My favorite is the S mode. As Birger said, you get to fix the shutter speed, and then set up with a nice aperture at say ISO 200. If the light increases, the aperture will close down until it can close no more, then the ISO will go lower (in steps as small as 1) to compensate. The more likely scenario is that the light will decrease, and then the aperture will open up until it is wide open, and then the ISO will be raised. This way, the ISO doesn't change over a fairly reasonable light range.

I've also used Auto ISO in the A mode, and it works the same as in the S mode except you get to fix the aperture setting, and then the shutter speed and ISO will be adjusted by the camera as the light changes.

Hope this attempt at an explanation didn't confuse the issue more.... 8)

Frank

This is the problem with a 3 variable system. You have to balance the 3 variables to get your exposure, but if you can only control 1 of the 3 then you have to set up thresholds for the others so they have some sort of predictability in the way in which they adjust for your shot. Looks like experimentation is the only way to really find this out unless someone has truly tested this with the D2h and come up with a set of guidelines on what to look out for.

Todd,

Exactly. I don't remember who it was, but someone surmised that the ISO 800 upper limit on the D2X might be due, at least partially, to a desire by Nikon to limit the upper range of the Auto ISO feature.

Even if this is not the case, I think that this works out well for us, the users. Where the D2H might zoom past 800, the D2X will just under expose. Wonder if that will be an advantage or a dis??

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom