ISO, detail retention and color fidelity when using DeepPrime

I did some testing over the past day or so, looking to find my D810's sweet spot when shooting at higher ISOs. I processed the photos below with DxO's DeepPrime (NR and lens sharpness only) and then exported to C1 because that's my workflow when using PhotoLab (I prefer C1's tools). I haven't finished up yet but I thought I'd share a couple of observations.

First, setting DP's value to zero (image 2) is not the same as turning it off (image 1):

_DSC1260_DxO_DPOFF.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC1260_DxO_DP0.jpg

I had read about this zero vs off thing, but I hadn't looked at it until now. The above frame, shot at ISO 6400, illustrates this reality clearly. I will note that at lower ISO values the difference can be less obvious. I may not investigate where the objectionable noise threshold comes into play with DP turned off because I tend not to use DP unless it's absolutely necessary. For comparison, the image below was shot at ISO 64 (DP off) and at this value the difference of DP off vs zero is virtually non-existent. As expected, the shadow detail is much improved and the color fidelity is also improved.

_DSC1267_DxO_DPOFF.jpg

For now, it looks like my best, higher ISO is ~1600—at least when one is pixel-peeping on a monitor. When it comes to prints, I expect higher ISO values will output just fine, with some dependency on subject and media. Another test for another day.

Edited to add a shot at 1600, DP=0 for comparison. When viewed at 100% the level of shadow detail comes in at good enough, at least to my eyes.

_DSC1262_DxO_DP0.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting experiments.

Thanks. Maybe not all that useful to others but I thought it worth posting to call attention to DP off vs setting it to zero if nothing else.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Unfortunately there's not a standard set of adjustments/sliders for software tools. And now with "AI" the magic is under the hood and we don't get to tweak things as much. Nor understand what's going on.

I suspect the difference between zero and off is color noise. You get very similar results in LR turning NR off vs setting the luminance slider to zero and leaving the color slider at default setting.

BTW I use DxO the same way you do i.e.DP and lens corrections only. It's a bit of a hassle so typically only do so for high ISO shots. But when needed it is awesome.

Unfortunately there's not a standard set of adjustments/sliders for software tools. And now with "AI" the magic is under the hood and we don't get to tweak things as much. Nor understand what's going on.
Agreed. AI can introduce unquantifiable variables into the process.
I suspect the difference between zero and off is color noise. You get very similar results in LR turning NR off vs setting the luminance slider to zero and leaving the color slider at default setting.
I'm not sure about this. I opened the 6400 ISO dng files (DP/0 and DP/off) in Photoshop and converted both to Lab. There is considerably more noise in the L channel of DP/off. I've no idea if this is even valid or if it addresses your comment appropriately.
BTW I use DxO the same way you do i.e.DP and lens corrections only. It's a bit of a hassle so typically only do so for high ISO shots. But when needed it is awesome.
Agree again. :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom