ISO speed

This would be like asking what is your favorite tool- it depends on what job I am trying to do. A hammer will do me little good if I am trying to paint a room.
My favorite iso is whatever one works for the image I am trying to obtain. I try to stay as low as I can, or baseline for whichever camera I am using. Low iso gives me maximum dynamic range, the best color and lowest noise. I will change that if I need to. I will go as high as needed to give me the shutter speed and aperture I need to produce my image. My favorite in the studio is 200 on the d3, 400 for outdoor candids and up to 3200 for sports. But this might be different on my next shoot.
Gary

The lowest ISO I can get away with!
I agree, my preference is the lowest I can get away with!

However I do a lot of my shooting from a tripod so quite often I can get away with keeping it at the lowest I can attain with my given equipment configuration. Normally it's ISO200 on the D50, or Velvia ISO50 in my FA or F301.

J

jcovert

400. If you have to ask why, you just don't 'get it'.:biggrin: (jk of course)

69 :biggrin:

Well, seriously I shoot ONLY ISO 100. I think I have shot about 7 frames with anything else than ISO 100 with my D200. I might get reckless this fall and go all the way to ISO 250 with the D700.

I use "AUTO ISO" all the time. Most of the time as a default setting I use ISO 100, but If I want higher speeds, in AUTO ISO I set default ISO to 400(800).

J

jcovert

Thing is...there is often not enough light to shoot at base ISO and still have a respectable shutterspeed. For myself, I started having much more success when I shed my fear of higher ISO, and replaced it with a fear of slow shutterspeeds. I'll take 400 ISO anyday if that's what it takes to get above 1/125th. Now, I tend to think of ISO just like film speed, and I start off in 400 iso if its cloudy etc.

Base for me too.

D40 ISO 200 looks nice. 400 isn't that much different (at least to me so far) and it helps with shutter speeds.

i did fool around with ISO 800, 1600, 3200. the images were...very interesting. :biggrin:

Thing is...there is often not enough light to shoot at base ISO and still have a respectable shutterspeed. For myself, I started having much more success when I shed my fear of higher ISO, and replaced it with a fear of slow shutterspeeds. I'll take 400 ISO anyday if that's what it takes to get above 1/125th. Now, I tend to think of ISO just like film speed, and I start off in 400 iso if its cloudy etc.
Yeah i don't have a preference though like many people, the lower the better for obviosu reasons. The D200 isn't regarded as a high ISO machine, but I don't mind using high ISOs, sometimes grain gives 'character' to an image and for the most part noise is easy to remove from the D200 as it is comprised of luminance noise (as opposed to color). People spend too much time worrying about sharpness and noise, and not enough time enjoying photography :smile:

But to be fair and answer your question:

100-200 most of the time
above 800 for black and white...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom