1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ISO speed

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Colyn, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    What is your favorite iso speed and why?

2. This would be like asking what is your favorite tool- it depends on what job I am trying to do. A hammer will do me little good if I am trying to paint a room.
    My favorite iso is whatever one works for the image I am trying to obtain. I try to stay as low as I can, or baseline for whichever camera I am using. Low iso gives me maximum dynamic range, the best color and lowest noise. I will change that if I need to. I will go as high as needed to give me the shutter speed and aperture I need to produce my image. My favorite in the studio is 200 on the d3, 400 for outdoor candids and up to 3200 for sports. But this might be different on my next shoot.
    Gary

3. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    The lowest ISO I can get away with!

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I agree, my preference is the lowest I can get away with!

However I do a lot of my shooting from a tripod so quite often I can get away with keeping it at the lowest I can attain with my given equipment configuration. Normally it's ISO200 on the D50, or Velvia ISO50 in my FA or F301.

5. jcovert

jcovert Guest

400. If you have to ask why, you just don't 'get it'.:biggrin: (jk of course)

6. I use low as I can, being 200, only really used higher to see what the results were, the noise is soo horrible, id rather set up a tripod, and do a longer exposure.

7. 400. This is where my D300 sits and I sometimes come down to 200 when outside in sunny conditions.

8. 800 looks as good as 200 on my D50 on a 8X12 print , and gives me higher speeds of course .

9. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    69 :biggrin:

Well, seriously I shoot ONLY ISO 100. I think I have shot about 7 frames with anything else than ISO 100 with my D200. I might get reckless this fall and go all the way to ISO 250 with the D700.

10. Base. And preferably no more than 400 at the max.

11. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    I prefer to shoot at ISO 100. I get more vividity and less of grains

12. stane1967

stane1967

Aug 18, 2007
    Slovenia
    I use "AUTO ISO" all the time. Most of the time as a default setting I use ISO 100, but If I want higher speeds, in AUTO ISO I set default ISO to 400(800).

13. Base ISO - All DSLRs work best at their base ISO.

14. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Thing is...there is often not enough light to shoot at base ISO and still have a respectable shutterspeed. For myself, I started having much more success when I shed my fear of higher ISO, and replaced it with a fear of slow shutterspeeds. I'll take 400 ISO anyday if that's what it takes to get above 1/125th. Now, I tend to think of ISO just like film speed, and I start off in 400 iso if its cloudy etc.

15. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Base for me too.

D40 ISO 200 looks nice. 400 isn't that much different (at least to me so far) and it helps with shutter speeds.

i did fool around with ISO 800, 1600, 3200. the images were...very interesting. :biggrin:

16. Cliffords

Cliffords Guest

Article-How to set your ISO and FORGETABOUTIT!!

I wrote this article which is on point to your question for
    www.photos4clix.com
    a link to the article How to set your ISO and FORGETABOUTIT!! is here:
    http://photos4clix.com/?p=21
    CliffordS

17. Yeah i don't have a preference though like many people, the lower the better for obviosu reasons. The D200 isn't regarded as a high ISO machine, but I don't mind using high ISOs, sometimes grain gives 'character' to an image and for the most part noise is easy to remove from the D200 as it is comprised of luminance noise (as opposed to color). People spend too much time worrying about sharpness and noise, and not enough time enjoying photography :smile:

But to be fair and answer your question:

100-200 most of the time
    above 800 for black and white...

18. I love shooting ISO 100/200.

I'll hold my breath until for as long as I have to to get the shot I want. Even if it means passing out. (Kidding)

19. 200 or 400 here.

20. As low as possible, but loving the D3's ability to shoot high when needed. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.