Iso1600+

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ERAUGrad04, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Here are some shots from the D90. Since NX will not read the NEF, all I had on this batch of files is basic JPEG. So here are OOC JPEG's resized for the web.

All exif data should be intact if anyone is interested. I was using a custom WB of 4000K because of the incendesent lighting of the kitchen countered by quite a bit of natural window light. So I apologize for the slight color casts.

I will try to find some better subjects for some additonal pictures(maybe my wife if I ask really really nice! :smile:) . On the shots below I was trying to find some color to see how the camera handeled saturation as the ISO cranked up.

Lens: Nikkor 50mm 1.4 (All shot images at f/2)
    Picture Control: Vivid
    D-Lighting: LOW
    NR: LOW

BASE ISO200 for ref:
    DSC_0090.

ISO1600:
    ISO1600.

ISO3200:
    ISO3200.

ISO6400:
    ISO6400.

2. not bad
    but..... DX sensor = noise at high ISO
    that's just the way it is

on the other hand.... the D90 seems INFINITELY better at low-light/high-ISO than my D200

3. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Oh yeah, no doubt. I could only dream of the ISO of the D700/D3(wipe drool now :smile:) 

But since I came from the D40x, I am very inpressed after just goofing around the house. ISO1600 I would say from first impressions is about 1-1/2-2stops better that the 40x. I just looked at some ISO800 images from the D40x that were shot in raw and PP and still are noiser than the OOC images above with no PP.

4. this D90 is ONE AWESOME BODY
    Nikon is really poised to OWN THE DSLR EARTH
    please keep shooting and posting
    hundreds of folks are waiting to the buy the camera on this site alone... a lot based on your findings

5. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I am about to run out the door for our company picnic. But when I get back tonight, I will try to post some initial thoughts and impressions.

6. we'd ALL appreciate THAT
    have a great time tonight
    i hope that you took the D90 with you.... right?

7. Seems to have less noise than D300, as D80 over D200..

8. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    that looks better than the D300... I know I have owned it.

9. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Those shots sure look clean to me! I was hoping my local Best Buy had the D90 in stock, but they don't.
    Time to get on a waiting list somewhere. I don't mind being an early adopter. Seems like a nice camera that can AF all my non-AFS lenses, except the older AIS of course.

Lisa

10. Let's not get carried away. Noise is most visible in shadow areas, and there aren't many shadow areas in this sample. Also, we need to see a 100% crop to make any judgements.

Just a rumor, Leo. The d80 was no better than the d200 at high iso noise.

11. I have checked all the Best Buy's here in Vegas as well. Not yet in stock... I can't wait..

12. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Ok, so I did not take the camera with me tonight to the picnic, but when we got home I took just a few shots of our cat. Nothing technically correct, but here was a shot at ISO3200, f/1.4, 1/80sec. The room was lit with 1 60watt incendecent lamp and the glow from the LCD(again, color casts).

Images are OOC only resized.

HighISOKitty_012.

100% crop:
    HighISOKitty_012100.

I am off to bed for the night, but if I can find some time tomorrow, I will try and write up a little "initial impressions" review.

I have a 4 day trip next week out to the KS, OK and TX areas, so I will definatly be traveling with the camera! :biggrin: Should be able to actually take some real pictures and not just around the house snapshots.

Morgan

13. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
  14. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    In this case it could be possible, the D80 and the D200 share the same sensor made by Sony.
    The D300 also uses a Sony sensor but the D90 is equiped with a Nikon made sensor.

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That is pretty impressive! That blows the D80 away by miiiiiiles!

16. Uncle Frank..

I use the both cameras (D80 and D200) and in ISO 800, 1250 and 1600, D80 shows a better post processed images with a more controlled noise. D200 is more raw.. both cameras are with noise reduction set at medium..

Longshanks, I believe it could be true.. D300 has a impressive performance in 1600, best over Canon 40D... but I download some samples from D90 and ISO 3200 is really great, never seem in a APS-C sensor...

17. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I am impressed.....cannot wait until Adorama gets me my preorder...glad I'm at the top of the line

:D 

18. AdamC

AdamC Guest

ISO1600 with lots of shadows

Today we went to a local museum where they were showing a fascinating Leonardo da Vinci exhibit. They had built replicas of many of the 'futuristic' devices that Leonardo had sketched (and you could play with several of the working ones).
    There was photography allowed, but only without flash. The exhibits were in a dark hall lit by a series of small overhead spotlights so I cranked the D90 up to 1600 and used my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.
    There is no processing on this photo other than the default sharpening that Lightroom does when it exports to Smugmug.

This photo is of my oldest son Leonardo examining his namesake's handiwork.:wink:

367934486_N5B7H-XL.

The original is available for your examination and/or download in my D90 sample gallery here:

http://adamcookson.smugmug.com/gallery/5903932_Rv4EU/1/367934486_N5B7H

19. You lucky $%^!@*# D90 owners!!!!!

I'm quite surprised Nikon made the D90 available so quickly after announcement.

I want my D90 right now, real bad!

I'm thinking of pawning my D300 in exchange for the D90 - for my needs, the D90 makes more sense.

Keep those impressions and photos coming!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.