ISS and extreme PP.

ISS, extreme PP (post processing or pixel peeping, both fit). I have been shooting the ISS for many years, just for the heck of it. Also receive ISS slow scan pictures but that's another hobby. Here is a highly processed image from a 7/28/2020 pass last week. It was in range about two minutes, managed to get a bunch of exposure bracketed images of which one was usable. This shot taken with a Z7, ISO 8000, 46mp raw, 200-500 VR, 1/640, f5.6, EV-2 from some forgotten exposure. I would bracket +-7 stops from various base exposures, and try to tweak the focus between each set. Lots of exposure overlap, focus issues, and crossed fingers for around two minutes. Totally not scientific but I did get a few candidates from >100 shots.

I then would enlarge the 46mp candidate to 100%, expand that to 400%, tweak the usual stuff, then take a screen grab since my software would not save any enlargement over 100%.

Also included a shot from 2009 before additional stuff was added to the exterior. That was from a D300 & 200-400 VR.

1 Hard to see the profile in this orientation.
_RS87383 screen copy.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 Year 2009, D300, 200-400VR.
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.12.49 AM.png

2 Slight crop from the 500mm field of view. ISS is the bright object.
_RS87378 1k.jpg

Ron

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Always congrats on any image of the ISS! The varying light reflections, rotation of panels, make it extremely difficult to image. Plus the tracking is always an issue. I had my best results with my 500 f4 with 2x converter And actually preferred hand held. Last imaging on the last shuttle visit many years ago. I know the difficulty, well done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow!!! incredible shots...
Thank you.
Amazing!!!
Thanks Mitch
Always congrats on any image of the ISS! The varying light reflections, rotation of panels, make it extremely difficult to image. Plus the tracking is always an issue. I had my best results with my 500 f4 with 2x converter And actually preferred hand held. Last imaging on the last shuttle visit many years ago. I know the difficulty, well done!
Thanks Wade. Good description of the issues, thats what keeps it intresting. I tried with a 1.7II TC with mixed results, but will keep trying.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom