Issit worth switching to D300s from D90?

T

Tom39

Hi,
I have thought of getting D300 prior to D90 months ago, but decision was D90due to the HD video capability.

Now, the D300s which is the combination of D90 + D300. An ideal package.

But, D300s is a mere updated version to the D300 for the time being just to bring up the sales of Nikon intermediate level DSLR to the rival Canon.

Should i wait for D400 instead? Hopefully with better features?
thanks

"Should i wait for D400 instead? "

When do you stop waiting? Do you wait for the D450 after the D400 hits the street? The problem is- You don't know exactly what you are waiting for. I will replace my D90 when I feel like it is holding me back. I will agree the the 300s is more camera than a D90 but not $1,200 +/- more. At least not to me. GH

Since you already have the D90, do you find yourself lacking anything significant the D300s will give you?

Odds are that you'd be better off buying lenses than upgrading your body.

What do you need it for? Do you shoot sports, wildlife or birds? I can't think of any other reasons to upgrade from the D90 to the D300s unless you really need the pro build quality. I agree with Bill unless you give us more info.

T

Tom39

hi thanks for the inputs.

i thought the D300s has CAM3500DX that is better than the D90 CAM1000? and 1/8000 to that of 1/4000 for Max shutter, autofocus for D-Movie clip, 51 focus point to 11 on D90?

If the result of picture quality is no better than D90, i think i will wait for D400 next year to release.

i thought the D300s has CAM3500DX that is better than the D90 CAM1000? and 1/8000 to that of 1/4000 for Max shutter, autofocus for D-Movie clip, 51 focus point to 11 on D90?
Yeah. But do you really need all that stuff? Is what's on the D90 holding you back? If so consider upgrading. If not why waste the money on features you won't utilize? You're better off putting your money into some nice lenses instead imho, which will at least hold their value over time. You haven't mentioned a thing about what or how you shoot, so any recommendations anybody could make are going to be completely blind.

T

Tom39

yes, points taken.

FYI, i am just a casual shooter of my D90 infact.

But i can appreciate the higher tech of certain features incorporated into medium or higher spec'ed DSLR as they are design for a purpose which i might not use now, but maybe later.

For instance, the 51 point is really practical where you get to choose the focusing point in a frame (that you think the background is ideal) w/o having to move your your location to accommodate instead of the 11 point on a D90.

I only ever use the centre focus point, but I grew up on film when we only had one focus point. I've never found the need for more than one even though I have 11 to play with.:smile:

If the result of picture quality is no better than D90, i think i will wait for D400 next year to release.
How do you know the D400 is gonna release? Why wait? how do you know how much better its going to be, if at all. look how pumped everyone was for the D300s and D3000 and they dissapointed almost everyone. So why wait?

I have a question too: what is the recent liking of video in a DSLR? i mean, you buy a camera for stills. If you want video, buy a video camera. its called PHOTOgraphy. hence the PHOTO in it. so my suggestion dont buy it, and get a D300.

the D300/s also have 15 CROSS + focus point where at the D90 only has one, and its the freaking center one :frown:

i have a D300S on pre-order, for me it is worth it

if the "D400" comes out then i'll wait for reviews and weight my options then

It also says on nikons site that the AF of the D300s is faster then that of the D300, maybe it matches that of the D700/D3 now ?

yes, points taken.

FYI, i am just a casual shooter of my D90 infact.

But i can appreciate the higher tech of certain features incorporated into medium or higher spec'ed DSLR as they are design for a purpose which i might not use now, but maybe later.

For instance, the 51 point is really practical where you get to choose the focusing point in a frame (that you think the background is ideal) w/o having to move your your location to accommodate instead of the 11 point on a D90.
If you really need to compose that precisely that you're splitting the difference between points in the 11 point system, just choose the closest one, hit the autofocus lock button, recompose, and take the shot. Or manually focus. The 51 point system is outstanding for sports and birding where you need good tracking ability and a lot of cross sensors to make it easier to lock on to things. While I'd like to have it, it's not worth the $1000+ upgrade price to me at this point to get it. I'd rather buy another lens or two. The D90 is more than capable enough for casual shooting. Even some pros use it here as a secondary body.

Edit: by the way, what lenses do you have at the moment?

I have a question too: what is the recent liking of video in a DSLR? i mean, you buy a camera for stills. If you want video, buy a video camera. its called PHOTOgraphy. hence the PHOTO in it. so my suggestion dont buy it, and get a D300.
Maybe because you can get the depth of field when you use camera lenses? One less piece of equipment to lug around?

Some people do want video with their DSLR's, some don't. It is very easy to not use the option.

I must say I totally agreed with your sentiments and was just as vocal about them until I saw what some people are doing with video. I tried out the D90's video, and with the exception of the rolling shutter, I must say it's very impressive. No low-level camcorder gives you what you can get from the D90 with a fast AI-S lens -- you'd have to pay some serious bucks for an HD camera that would give you equivalent DOF capabilities. At any rate, I still use my D90 predominantly for photography, but I must now say I'm glad it has video capabilities for when I want to get creative in a different way.

Like others have said, the D90 is plenty capable and unless it is literally holding you back from achieving something the D300s would give you, I'd say no. I've been scratching my head about the D300s, and can't quite justify the jump -- to replace my D80, that is, which lately has been struggling to keep up with my D90.

Yeah. But do you really need all that stuff? Is what's on the D90 holding you back? If so consider upgrading. If not why waste the money on features you won't utilize? You're better off putting your money into some nice lenses instead imho, which will at least hold their value over time. You haven't mentioned a thing about what or how you shoot, so any recommendations anybody could make are going to be completely blind.
+1 :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll become a better photographer with a D300s, but "maybe" I could need some of the features of the D300s, like ....(WRITE HERE YOUR NECESSITY)...

cheers, Nik

T

Tom39

i have 18-200 VR and 35mm f/1.8G at the moment.

but would like to sell the 18-200 VR for 24-70 f/2.8 for future upgrading to FX.

I only ever use the centre focus point, but I grew up on film when we only had one focus point. I've never found the need for more than one even though I have 11 to play with.:smile:
A need that I have found is being able have the spot meter work on other parts of the frame, not just the center.

How do you know the D400 is gonna release? Why wait? how do you know how much better its going to be, if at all. look how pumped everyone was for the D300s and D3000 and they dissapointed almost everyone. So why wait?

OH boy, here we go again with the video nay sayers :) Video is here to stay whether you like it or not. If you don' need it, don't use it. however, it would be a great feature to have. I know I love having it on my Panasonic LX3 and not having to carry around yet another device. But we digress...

Not trying to pick a fight, just can't believe all the nay sayers of new technology.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom