Issue with Nikon bodies with TCs and Sigma lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jupman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Not sure if this is the right category or not...please let me know.

Ok, I have a problem. I have: Sigma 150mm Macro APO DG HSM D and 70-200mm APO HSM EX both are f2.8; less priced Kenko MC7 N-AFd 2x; the higher priced Sigma EX APO 2x teleconverters; Nikon D200 and D2h.
    D2h with either/or TC and the 70-200mm, the lens hunts.
    D200 with Sigma TC and the 70-200mm works, but hunts with the Kenko.
    Sigma 150mm with Sigma TC the lens will not focus on either body.
    Sigma 150mm with Kenko TC will try to focus on either body but will not lock.
    Either lens works on either body with no issues. I will be talking to Sigma tomorrow…any help you can offer is appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jeffrey

2. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    I used the sigma 2x on my 300mm f2.8 and it worked ok, the lock was not a sure as without or with the 1.4x but it did lock ok. My 500mm locks ok with the 1.4x tc added even, though i have to tape the pins.

3. >>Sigma 150mm Macro APO DG HSM D and 70-200mm APO HSM EX both are f2.8>>

I used both of these lenses with Sigma 1.4 and 2.0 TCs on a D70 and D1X. The Sigma 2X TC will NOT AF on the 150 macro but will on the 70-200 HSM.

>>less priced Kenko MC7 N-AFd 2x>>
    The Pro 300 sereis Kenko TCs are the ones to get.

>>the higher priced Sigma EX APO 2x teleconverters>>
    Works for me but I haven't tested it on my D200 yet.

D2h with either/or TC and the 70-200mm, the lens hunts.
    ??

D200 with Sigma TC and the 70-200mm works, but hunts with the Kenko.
    Kenko TCs and Sigma lenses don't always work well together. Stick with Sigma TCs, the 1.4 is outstanding.

>>Sigma 150mm with Sigma TC the lens will not focus on either body.>>
    Call Sigma. Mine work.

>>Sigma 150mm with Kenko TC will try to focus on either body but will not lock.>>
    Again, stick to manufacturers TCs when possible.

>>Either lens works on either body with no issues. I will be talking to Sigma tomorrow…>>
    That'd be my plan.

4. Ok, guess there was a ghost with the Sigma x2 and the Sigma 70-200mm, all is working this afternoon. And it is listed on Sigma's web page that the x2 and the 150mm is manual focus.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Cheers