Issues uploading from Z6 to iPad Pro (2018)

Curious if anyone has been able to upload photo files from the Nikon Z6 to the iPad Pro. I have the 2018 version. I connect a USB-C cable to the camera and the other end to the iPad Pro. I turn the camera on and iPhotos pop up to import photos however, no photo files appear for import. I also attemtpted to import the files directly into LightRoom Mobile but no luck there either. I’ll click the icon at the bottom of the screen but the only options are to import from Camera roll or a file. Clicking on files the camera is not an option.

I do have a XQD card reader but its not with me. Also the was used when I had an older iPad and used the lightning port so I will still have a problem trying to load thru the XQD card because I need to find a way to connect it via USB-C. So currently the only way I have is directly from camera to iPad via usb-c.

I have also tried the WIFI connection. My iPad and camera are connected. However, as before the Z6 photo files are not recognized. iPhoto does show import but no photos appears.

Thanks

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Mellen
I gave a brief try on my 2018 iPad Pro 12.6 and found out that you have to import files into Photos first, then import from Photos to LR CC. Apparently, you cannot directly import images into LR CC on the iPad.

Not what I had hoped for sure! I do not want to use up iCloud storage this way. I was hoping that my iPad Pro would become a nice travel companion for my cameras.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
You can add photos to LR CC from
Camera Roll
All Photos
Files

Camera roll and all photos both use up iCloud storage the way I use my phone and iPad. Files work fine if I copy the files from my computer to the iPad with a USB cable or if I have them in some cloud storage device. Files does not work from a connected card reader for me. Others have noted that Apple insists you copy your images to Photos first.

I would like to be able to hook up a card reader, select the images I want and import them to LR CC directly. On the PC LR CC copies the originals to a cache location and then uploads them to your Adobe account. Once uploaded, the originals are removed by LR CC if the space is needed for new images. In my mind, the iPad version of LR CC should work the same way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I gave a brief try on my 2018 iPad Pro 12.6 and found out that you have to import files into Photos first, then import from Photos to LR CC. Apparently, you cannot directly import images into LR CC on the iPad.

Not what I had hoped for sure! I do not want to use up iCloud storage this way. I was hoping that my iPad Pro would become a nice travel companion for my cameras.
Actually I cant get them recognized by iPhoto’s either. That was my previous workflow - import to iPhoto’s then import to LR mobile. Neither application identify the files.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. It’s resolved. The iPhoto’s will read the files it just takes a while to do so. Connecting and turning the camera on I initially received “no photos” message. However after several minutes phots appear. I selected and imported into iPhoto’s. Definitely longer than from the card reader for the iPad to recognize the photos.

I’m probably hoping in vain, but I’m very interested to see what this impending “photoshop on the iPad” release will give us. It almost seems like it will be a necessity for Apple to make some (desperately needed) changes to the iOS file system to allow a more versatile and user friendly format for this to work.

New subscriber and new z6 owner.
Using Sony xqd card reader or USBc cable to try to load images to iPhoto. MacBook Pro sees the pics and seems to go through the process to import, but no pics are uploaded. Can anyone offer help ?

New subscriber and new z6 owner.
Using Sony xqd card reader or USBc cable to try to load images to iPhoto. MacBook Pro sees the pics and seems to go through the process to import, but no pics are uploaded. Can anyone offer help ?
Could be as simple as a missing codec? Try downloading the newest Nikon Codec from their website and installing it. That might help...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom