Issues with RAW files on my new Z5 and lightroom not recognizing. Help!

Hey all, just took my new Z5 out today for the first time and came home to upload the RAW files into lightroom and it says it doesn't "recognize" them so I can't import into lightroom. Any advice how to rectify this. Its an older version of lightroom (version 5.7) if that helps. I went to update it and its at its most current version.

Thanks

Greg

Yup, the Z5 is so much newer than your version of LR; solution: update LR.
Thanks Nick. So do I just go online and purchase the new version? I have to purchase the new one vs updating my old one? Seems like its all cloud based now and there is just a monthly fee?

Real Name
Ken
Assuming that Adobe's DNG converter has been updated to support the Z5, then you could download it (it is a free program), convert your images to DNG format, and then import them into LR5.7. The other alternative is to consider purchasing an Adobe Photography Plan. This will give you access to LR Classic, LR (the cloud-based sister program to Classic), and possibly programs like Photoshop depending on what plan you purchase. LR6.x was the last version that you could purchase and it is no longer available. I would give some thought to upgrading. Adobe offers a lot for their basic Photography plan. You get 20GB of online storage (if you choose to use it), LR Classic, Photoshop, Bridge, and Portfolio. The current price in the US is $120/yr. or $10/mo. It may be a bit more in Canada.

You could also consider non-Adobe alternatives, but that takes you down a different path. But do know that eventually LR5.7 will not be supported by Apple or Microsoft at some point in the future. I know that Apple's latest OS does not support older versions of LR unless they were installed prior to OS upgrades. There is some 32-bit code in LR that is not supported in the new Apple OS.

Good luck,

--Ken

Real Name
Walter Rowe
You could try the Adobe DNG route Ken recommends, but honestly there are so many improvements in LR that I recommend you upgrade. The problem is you have have to go to subscription model now. LR no longer sells a perpetual license. Your version of LR cannot be updated.

I use Capture One. Capture One offers subscription and persistent licenses. Persistent license is $300 USD so not cheap, and you have the added work of moving all of your archives from LR to Capture One (which Capture One supports).

If you can swallow the $10/mo US subscription then I think that is your best path.

Thanks everyone for all the input, its REALLY helpful!! I've signed up for the free 7 day lightroom trial and will see how it goes.

I am only guessing here, but you should start a new catalog. Sometimes, a newer very needs to update your catalog and then if you do not want to continue after the trial your older version of LR will not be able to open the updated catalog.
Someone more knowledgeable may know the definite answer to this but I wanted to issue a warning now.

Real Name
Ken
I am only guessing here, but you should start a new catalog. Sometimes, a newer very needs to update your catalog and then if you do not want to continue after the trial your older version of LR will not be able to open the updated catalog.
Someone more knowledgeable may know the definite answer to this but I wanted to issue a warning now.
LR Classic will create a new catalog based on the LR6 that it was asked to open. But, as you stated, this new catalog is not backward compatible.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Ken is correct. LR does not upgrade in place. It copies the catalog and upgrades the copy. Your original catalog remains untouched.
In short, play with the new version knowing that whatever new work you do is not backward compatible to LR6.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom