Istanbul Labour Day riots

Today in Istanbul there has been some riots over Labour Day's celebrations (or lack thereof). I walked on the European shore of the city around Dolmabahce - Kabatas just between riots; here some pic of the streets and the police either coming back from action or ready to go into it. All with the M8 & the Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Biogon.

L1000133.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1000135.jpg

L1000136.jpg

L1000137.jpg

L1000132.jpg

10 min after I walked there, a group of protesters arrived & the police charged with tear gas & idrants.

C&C as always very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like that it's all in black and white

that's some crazy riot gear they have.. they look like stormtroopers!

Hello Jaleel, thank you very much - for me, PJ & street is still (almost always) a BW thing... call me old fashioned :biggrin: indeed they look like something out of a movie... Stormtroopers, Robocop... your pick. Thanks again!

Nice job on these, Vieri. When I heard about the riots this morning, I wondered if you'd gotten any shots. Love the composition of the first pic.

Hello Dave, thank you very much for your kind words - yes indeed I managed to get some shots, but not as much as I would have liked to - I was trying to get home as well (I live very close to the riots), and had to go to another part of the city to check it out when I passed through one of th hottest spots. This is all I could get, the police put me aside a couple of times too when I was trying to get some more shots. Thanks again for your comments! :smile:

Wonderful photo work.

Thank you very much Alex, much appreciated :smile:

North Yorkshire born and bred in Edinburgh!!!
Vieri............ like others, when I saw this on the news, my first thought was of you there photographing events!

I'm so glad you did............ these make the event so much more real for me.

Excellent captures and tension in these shots.

I hope it wasn't too stressful for you to be there amongst the violence.

G

Wow that cop in the middle of the last photo looks like some kind of primitive RoboCop

INdeed it does Fred - kinda scary, too... :wink:

Vieri............ like others, when I saw this on the news, my first thought was of you there photographing events!

I'm so glad you did............ these make the event so much more real for me.

Excellent captures and tension in these shots.

I hope it wasn't too stressful for you to be there amongst the violence.

G

Hello Graeme my friend!! I wasn't actually going to photograph the riots, because I didn't expect so much trouble (it was a few years since the last Labour Day troubles...) I was on my way to somewhere else, of course with my M8 with me though :wink: and - all that police, and the attitude of the marchers, kinda suggested something was going to happen so - I took my M8 and started shooting! Still, however, walking towards where I had to go: this is why I don't have any image of the actual riots... which, in turn, could not be a bad thing I suppose - I mean escaping the actual riots, not not getting pictures of them :wink: so, even if I missed the actual violence, it wasn't very pleasant to say the least: tension was in the air, definitely... no relaxed faces among the cops!! :eek: :eek: anyway, all is well that ends well my friend... hope everything is fine on your end!

Vieri, How did the police feel about you taking pictures? Did you get any reaction from them?

These are great and the black and white goes perfectly with 'police and protestor' pictures.

Vieri, How did the police feel about you taking pictures? Did you get any reaction from them?

These are great and the black and white goes perfectly with 'police and protestor' pictures.

Gaye, as you can see from some of the shot the police definitely was aware of my presence - a couple of police groups didn't let me take pictures (those closer to the action), but generally it was pretty ok and I wasn't the only photographer there: just the one who was either brave or stupid enough to try and get as close as possible :wink: glad you enjoyed! your comment is as always very much appreciated, thanks again :biggrin:

Vieri, thanks for your interesting reply. With all the violence around you it must be hard to focus on your pictures... I look forward to all your threads in this forum and I always enjoy your pictures... I learn from you.
Thanks,

Vieri, thanks for your interesting reply. With all the violence around you it must be hard to focus on your pictures... I look forward to all your threads in this forum and I always enjoy your pictures... I learn from you.
Thanks,

Gaye, I can say it wasn't easy - I was especially impressed by the police's determination and feeling they exhuded; not necessarily nice :wink: but definitely in control. I am glad you find something interesting in my pics, that means a lot to me - thanks again! :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom