It all starts with caring

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by rbsinto, Apr 8, 2007.

1. This is a shot I pre-visualized for a long time before the opportunity to take it actually presented itself. The building in the background is the St. Michael's Hospital here in Toronto, and the sign shows the Saint and the Hospital's slogan or mission statement; "It All Starts With Caring"
    I imagined St. Michael looking down on a homeless individual, with the slogan re-inforcing the message I wanted to convey.
    This shot was made during the Christmas holidays of 2004.
    Nikon F with meterless eyelevel prism.
    Nikkor 24 mm 2.8 AIS manual focus
    Fuji Sensia II
    exposure determined with Minolta Flashmeter III in incident mode
    handheld
    [​IMG]

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Very touching image. So sad.

3. photomate

photomate Guest

What a tragedy. And what a vision of robert....

4. Poignant image............. unfortunately so typical of many of our large Western cities.

Expertly seen...

G

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nicely composed and executed. One of the finer PJ shots I've seen in a while.

6. nice picture, so very ironic

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good photography
    Powerful image

8. Brianski

Brianski

Feb 14, 2007
    Mississauga
    The photo does not show the Facts.

The disturbing facts about the homeless are that the majority are from smaller cities and towns,... Toronto provides plenty of Shelters and transportation to get there at no charge. Groups patrol in the evenings to make these unfortunates aware of the Shelters available.
    Sadly, a great number of these people have Mental Illness.

9. Brian,
    Most of the people I've met on the streets wouldn't use the shelters.
    The reasons I was given?
    They're too violent
    People steal my stuff
    Too many rules.
    They don't let me drink in there.
    I've got to be there by a certain time (and keep to their schedule).
    They're full of lice, or bedbugs, or TB.
    I'm afraid if I fall asleep someone will touch me
    I've been photographing street people off and on for about eight years, and I can count on one hand all the folks I met who used the shelters, even during the coldest, nastiest weather.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007