It gets nastier and nastier over at DPR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Feb 15, 2005.

1. If it isn't the trolls from Canon, it's just plain hostility and rudeness.

So nice to be among friends here.

Rich

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tell me about it Rich. I love DPR, and I tried my best to keep things calm, to make newcomers feel welcome and not intimidated, and to mediate fights, but basically I was told "you can't control what goes on here".

Guess not. Not there now.... :?

Frank

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    You are so right Rich. After 10,000+ posts (I have no life) I can barely stand it over there anymore. It is such a pleasure to participate on a site where everybody gets along and egos don't clash.

4. What you find here is politeness. Over there there are too many people who believe "honesty" is an excuse for bad behivior...say anything you want bescause you're bing "honest."

I realize some of the remarks here about posted images may be a bit too "nice" but why be obnoxious? When one cares about another's feelings it isn't difficult at all to stop a bit and phrase something in a way which won't put someone on the defensive.

Instead over there too often it becomes a case of testosterone poisoning. No one wants to yield an inch for fear of being seen as "losing." Lee Stanstead took some grief over shooting paintings in a library. (Take a look, they're incredible!) One particular gent follows all his posts and takes them apart feigning politeness.

Ah well, it was alousy day at work, nice to come to the cafe and relax a while.

Rich

6. I give up

Like most of you, I have been attempting to peruse DPR occasionally (although much less frequently these days). Mostly just to see the occasional picture posts of a handful of respected folks that aren't here just yet or to get the latest info that the larger audience may glean from time to time.

It really seems to me that things have gotten intensely absurd there in the past few weeks -- they were on a downslide already, but it really seemed to accelerate in the last couple of weeks in particular. Don't know if it's just because the nicer folks have moved over here, or if there truly is a concerted effort by some folks to spread angst in the Nikon world as the D2X is about to ship and announcements of other products are forthcoming. In either case, I have no taste for it anymore. And I don't have the time to sift through the trash looking for morsels. If anyone else sees something good or important, please let the rest of us know.