It just works !!!

For the last 5-6 years, I've been running a Linksys WRT-54G router in the house. For the first 2-3 years, I ran the stock UI and then moved to the DD-WRT for the added functionality. I have never been completely satisfied with this router no matter what UI I was using but given that I reseted it once or twice a week, it would do the job.

With the increase of wireless devices, we currently run 1 Mac Book Air, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 Apple TV, a Galaxy Tablet, an Android phone as well as a Windows 7 phone, my Linksys router had more and more problems keeping up with all that was going on in the house.

Also, one of the reason I had switched to the DD-WRT was that it offered QoS (Quality of Service) and I wanted to make sure I always had enough bandwidth for my VOIP phone. Unfortunately, though this is the feature I was the most interested in this software, it never really worked as advertised. Over the years, I've read many many pages of informations, I've spent way too many hours trying to make it work and yet, it failed miserably...

Two weeks ago, I had to reboot the darn thing at least 10 times during the last Boston-Miami NBA game. That did it !!! I couldn't take it anymore so I ordered a refurbished Airport Extreme router from Apple. I got it within a week in the mail, unpacked, plugged it in and set it up and just forgot about it. This thing just works !!! :Love:

I have had a Mac in the house since 1984 so I know the products and what they can do for me and yet, for some strange reason, I kept trying to get this Linksys router to work... I could have spent many evenings doing something else instead of trying to make it work better... :redface:

Oh well... Now I'm a happy camper and nobody in this house is complaining that the router isn't working anymore...

Jean-Pierre, you just helped me make up my mind. I have been on the threshold of replacing my old WRT-54G and going with the Airport Extreme. I am also looking at putting a Airport Express in to give me more range, but before I do that, from what I read, I hope the Airport Extreme might give me the extra I need.

Thanks for posting your experience.

When I made the switch from Windows to Mac I was using a LinkSys WRT-something-or-other and it was fine for about a year but then started acting flaky. I mulled things over, then realized that the household had gone predominantly Mac so why not buy the Airport Extreme? Did so and have been a happy camper ever since. When this one goes, I'll replace it with either another Airport Extreme or a Time Capsule.

I was gifted a surplus to my son Linksys which he thought was broken. It was not and he had some other problem. He used it for 4 years, and now me 3. Never has a problem.

But it came without instructions. My son set it up and it worked only so , so. I called customer service and she said I need to update the firmware and walked me thru it. It now works flawlessly and has for 3 years except for when we get a power failure.

She was the nicest person I ever had to talk to on the phone. A real sweete.

I will look at Mac`s next time. The Link is really complicated with encryption and two or three passwords etc. I don`t want to be a technician, just use the computer. Therefore I use Mac.

I used to have a linksys that I had all sorts of problems with too. The range was horrible, so then I bought a range extender and that added more complexity and it's own host of problems to the mix. Finally the Linksys just stopped working entirely.

I bought a Airport Extreme and I don't think I've ever had to do a thing with it since day 1...it just works. And the range is better than the Linksys was with the extender!

Yup. I had an el cheapo Linksys that seeme to "forget" its IP address every other week and needed constant resetting. Bought an Extreme + an Express and couldn't be happier. haven't even looked at them since installing them over 1/2 a year ago...

When I replaced my aging, but still fine Linksys WRT-54G, I researched alot of Wireless N routers on the market. I wanted one that could do dual band wireless N and be reliable. At the time, alot of reviews on the Linksys and D-Link models were not very impressive. So, enter the AE router. I bought it, set it up and other than a firmware update about 6-8 months later, have NEVER had to touch it due to it failing in some way. It just goes and goes and i've NEVER lost a signal due to the device failing.

Administratively, it's easy to setup and manage. I like the Guest networking feature. You can give people access to your network, but block them from seeing any devices on your network. Essentially, they can use the internet and thats it!

Speed wise...it's fast! Period! Wireless N transmission speeds are fantastic! If you can connect via the 5ghz band of N, forget it! Blazing FAST! My new iPad 2 connects via the 5ghz N band and smokes!

The only downfalls I've ever read from people and reviews are only 3 Ethernet ports and the price. I only need 1 of the ports and the rest of my devices...wireless. Hey, you get what ya pay for as well!

Hmmm....this may be a stupid question, but this router is PC compatible right? I have a couple iPhones and an iPad, but all my computers are Windows based. My old Linksys needs to be rebooted weekly....getting old now.

Yes, PC compatible... in fact, Extreme base station right now is for my Macs as well as my wife's old Dell, and all my brothers hop on it with their PC laptops when they come over.

I've setup the 5 GHz band last Friday and configured all the devices that can take advantage of it.

Now I have to figure out if I'll get more coverage if it sits horizontally or vertically as I find the signal a bit weak in the backyard. On the other hand, I will probably get an Express and install it in the shed along with an old amp so I can listen to my music around the pool so that probably won't be an issue anymore if I can extend my network with the Express at the same time.

I'd never had thought in 1984 when I bought my first Mac (the original 128k with TWO 400 k disk drives !!!) that I'd be simultaneously running multiple portable wireless devices around the house and I'd be streaming music in the backyard at the same time. I can't even to start to imagine where technology will be in 25 years from now...

We used to have cheap routers in a student house with 5 people. Each with a computer running heavy bandwidth loads, and each has some type of mobile device pulling wifi.

We had to reboot the router every 3 days. One day one of them got an Airport Extreme on my recommendation, we didn't have to reboot it for 2 years.

Ya.
Plugged mine in 18 months ago and have all but forgotten about it.
Sort of like the city water supply...just there needing no thought.

It gets rebooted ONLY when we have a power outage after a storm. I don't think I've EVER rebooted it on purpose.

I saw the Airport Extreme last night for the first time in 6 months.
Bought a 3TB hard drive at Costco for $140 and 10 minutes out of the box it's available on the network by just plugging it into the Airport USB port (Oh,3 minutes spent switching it to Mac OS extended/Journaled)!!
Plugged it into the Airport....viola!!!...there it is.

Proudly drinkin' the Coolaid!!

Indeed, I've been running an Airport Extreme at home for over a year and it's rock solid. We're running two Macbooks, a PC laptop, PC desktop and an Xbox360 on our home network -- all without a hitch. I'm no mac fanboy but I do appreciate solid, reliable hardware, and the mac routers are all that.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom