1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

It pays when you start with a sharp image

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry S., Jul 1, 2007.

1. Recently, my friend who runs the open air stage where I regularly shoot the performances asked me to produce a pair of menacing eyes for a CD cover and for the program booklet.
    So I disappeared with the leading actor to get the footage for doing this.

Once again the sharpness of the 85/1.4 amazed me.

This is the initial pic we chose:

original.

and this is the preliminary result (we still have to work on the black gradient)

View attachment 103647

Just for show off - an unsharpened 100% crop

View attachment 103648

Cheers

2. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Wow! Now that's impressively sharp.

Cool shot, too.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very sharp indeed ...but i bet @f5.6 a lowly 100 buck 50 1.8 would do the same...;-))

4. Harry, be careful, you could cut yourself on that one.

Good shot and nice PP BTW.

5. Thanks all!

You might be right if I had only the eyes in mind. Because of the angle I had to use f/5.6 to achieve the necessary DOF.

Honestly, if you have both lenses (I have both) which one will you choose for that job :smile:? The 50/1.8 is very sharp stopped down but I have a slight problem with its OOF transition.

If I had to do it again I would use a different lens anyway, one with a shorter working distance (60Micro or 85PC). However, I wasn't prepared for that job because I was told only when I was already there and I don't always carry my entire equipment with me.

Cheers

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ya, a macro would be a logical choise..but hey, can't argue with the results...AWESOME!!!
    ;-))

7. Good shot and great sharpness, but a suggestion if you get the chance to reshoot.

For me the pupils are a bit large to be as menacing as they could.

Don

8. WOWx2:eek: :eek: 
    Michael

9. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Very nice, indeed. What else do you shoot with that lens?

10. Very, very good point, Don!

I have a great collection of eyes so maybe I can replace them.
    It's easy to make pupils larger in PP, but smaller would be a tough job.

Cheers

11. well, it's really easy, either you can work with what you have now, or take another picture (or "find" one) with some different eyes and then just pp them in. It's really easy as long as the eyes are looking the same way.

12. I guess I know how to do it without replacing the eyes and without cloning.

Also, if the person who ordered this image is content, I wonder if I should invest more time than necessary - maybe just for the sake of learning.

Cheers

13. Not bad. I remember when I was starting out and wanted to photograph my eyes...I discovered they had some cool characteristics when exposed to bright enough light for long enough. The original setting on the camera was for high saturation, but I actually took the sponge tool and reduced the saturation, leaving the skin nice and pale (bright light + naturally pale skin + desaturation sponge = blown white creepiness). I used it for a while for internet avatars and stuff because people liked it (I guess it's a little goth/vamp but ehh I don't mind that much).

[​IMG]
    No special lens though :redface:

14. Well, Robert, that's a piercing look :eek: 

Cheers

15. Generally when it comes to eyes, I think it's better to have too much light than not enough. My overexposures sometimes blow the whites (I was using a cheap P&S too), but if the attention is on the iris and pupil, the other stuff doesn't really mean a whole lot.
    In the pic I did in the earlier post, I was just looking straight into the sun. That's a bit extreme and you could see my eyes watering from it (don't recommend anyone try that). I also have taken closeups with direct flash. It works reasonably well but doesn't always treat the skin properly. In those cases, overexposure generally helps...
    But I don't want to hijack your thread with silly P&S advice...sorry!

16. Surley its sharp, but sharpness isnt everything.

What would have helped you alot more then the 85mm/1,4 is the lightning. The small catchlight and all the small reflections in the skin detract from the image.

A more directional and diffused light would have shaped it alot better and given some depth to the image.

just my opinion, take it for what its worth. .-)

/Paul L.

17. This was a very improvised shooting on the spot. I tried direct lighting but did not get the shadows that were required for that image so I bounced the flash and twisted the actor until it was more or less right.

You are right about the small reflections, easy to get rid of them.

Cheers

18. Okay.

BTW Im not disagreeing with the fact that the 85mm/1,4 is one sharp peice of glass. .-)

It really is.

[​IMG]

a 100% crop of the eyes straight from the camera (no sharpening applied in camera or in pp)

[​IMG]

/Paul L.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.