It was my lunch!

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by ospf2001, May 12, 2007.

1. How were they?! We used to see and catch horse shoe crabs, but I never heard of anyone eating them.

2. hi Anthony,

It was my first time eating horse shoe crab. They tasted really good with the way they were seasoned and cooked; I think a swell cook will make anything tastes good!:smile:

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Didn't know we had horse shoe crabs here, interesting. What's also interesting is your series showing the egg gathering and gutting. Most Westerners are too far removed from their food chain, food comes in little plastic trays at the store, right?? (wink)

4. hi Mike,
    I forgot to mention that everything happened in Vietnam...
    I don't mind to try new and bizzarrrrr stuff at least one. It's fun to experience some new beyond what we can get in "...little plastic trays at the store..." don't you think!? :smile:
    Yeah, for 3 years living on Oahu, I haven't seen horse shoe crabs either.

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

ah! That explains it. How were they, gooey??

6. No, it's not goey at all, the texture is just like crab meat with stronger flavor.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

you could make a great basic Panang with that.

8. Ummm! it sounds yummy! Just wonder if they eat horse shoe crab in Thailand or maybe I should introduce a new dish into their already "liberal" food chain :biggrin:

9. Interesting! I've tried some "different" stuff, but never horseshoe crab! I've been to Thailand but never saw horseshoe crab for sale. Of course I was north of Bangkok, not down near the ocean, so it's very possible they sell them on the coast. And LOL at Thailand's "liberal" food chain! :biggrin:

10. I'm glad that you enjoy it Jen!
    I call Orlando home..... I may need to sign up for your conservation class at Sea World some day!:biggrin:

11. LOL well keep an eye out for me if you're ever in the park. :biggrin:

12. I was a bit shocked to read this at first, until you stated it happened in Vietnam.

It is illegal (and also considered BAD form) to catch/keep/eat an "egger" lobster ( a female with eggs). Only males or females not in egg can be kept. Those with eggs are sent back in order to continue repopulating the Sea Rats (I hate lobster!). Guess it's just the New Englander in me, but seeing an egger being eaten sits very poorly.

We do have horseshoe crabs here, you'll find shells on the beach, and sometimes live once to chase about. Never heard of anyone eating them. Mots probably prefer to catch/eat Sea Rat. :wink: