1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

It went by to fast...

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    ....summer break. Amanda returns to school tomorrow as a 4th grader and Logan starts kindergarten next week.

I was feeling a bit nostalgic and took the D2x today. On camera SB800 bounced. Always loved this flash setup.
    603871879_FKSj8-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Back to school in JULY!!!????? wow-when do they get out?
    Regardless, that is a great shot--and BTW, a D2X ain't a nostalgia machine--it's my everyday camera! The kids have sure grown---fast!

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Nick,
    Its year round track school here. She was off for 5 weeks. D2x is a fine image maker. You might say I cut my teeth on it as I had one of the first ones in this area.

603914153_C4Lb9-O.jpg

The bane of her existence.
    603897887_ofyUu-O.jpg

D2x is so good at flash setup that I sat the camera down for a moment and my wife picked it up and shot this.
    603887621_jbgLF-O.jpg

4. DougD50

DougD50

Aug 29, 2006
    Very nice capture of the moment. The lighting is excellent. Would you care to share how you bounce the light in the first picture to get such gorgeous lighting?
    Thanks,
    Doug

5. These are just priceless Charles, it is amazing to see your children growing up!!
    Your wife is a great photographer - the last is a real gem, it wants to be poster size!!

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Super!

7. Agreed, your wife has talent too!!! :smile: :smile: And it is wonderful to see them growing up, amazing how quickly it's gone!

8. Your children are so beautiful. I love the pictures you have posted recently of your daughter. she is gorgeous. Those eyes, oh those eyes. The little guys is very handsome too.

Great captures. Great memories.

9. Nice shots. Can't believe they go back to school in july! lol

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I had a wall behind me and not far away. The flash head was point into the wall and celling. Very similar to butterfly lighting in studio. Should be able to find some information on the net.:wink:

To us the changes seem slow, but to the cafe members that have followed along it must seem like major changes every time I post a picture. You will never see my ugly mug blown up to poster size. :eek: 

Thanks

Don't tell her that! She might want to pick up the photography habit too. I always thought it was funny that I have cameras from the P&S size all the way up to my Linhof on the shelf and she rarely uses one. If she does, its usually the TX1 for shooting video.

Thank you. I think her eyes are famous. At least here on the cafe anyway..

The year round schedule is interesting. I swear they have more total days off than we ever had on a traditional plan. It gets interesting in a couple of years because the year round plan is only through grade school. For a few years we will have one on traditional and one on year round. That should make vacation planning fun.:rolleyes: 

11. Very nice Charles and good luck to your kids in the new school year.

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    She has some stunning blue eyes.

We start school the 3rd week in August.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Gordon.With Logan now going there I would wish the school luck. LOL

It really depends on light placement. If I don't get the right angle they look almost silver. Thats a normal school start. Always hated going back to school on my birthday.:rolleyes: 

14. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    The skin tones are fantastic. What lens did you use?

Dave

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    85/1.8 was used. Lens choice had little to do with the skin tones.:wink:

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Another first morning back to school and another picture at the stairs. Available light with a Panasonic G1 and kit lens at ISO 400.

604811387_cbRUo-O.jpg

17. I'm always struck with how beautiful your children are, Charles. Your wife took a fine picture of you and Logan. You look so happy being just being near him. It might make a nice avatar.

You're the first person I know to own a G1. What do you think of it?

18. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Frank and thats a good idea to use that as an avatar.

I like it a lot. It feels like it weighs as much as the battery from my D2x so its nice to carry everyday. The 2 "kit" lenses of 14-45, and 45-200 are good and have VR. Having a live view that I can flip and twist allowing me to shot portraits from waist level is great. That allows me to shoot proper perspective without killing my knees.

Its the first 12mp camera that I have come across that resolves higher than a D2x. Like the D2x noise can be an issue for some people. I have no problems shooting either to ISO800. It does very good long exposures. The night shots I have done at 60 seconds were very clean.

What I didn't expect was to enjoy old manual focus lenses so much. The G1 with adapters can use just about any brand of lens made. I have started a nice collection of older Olympus lenses.

With the "crop factor" of 2x a 50/1.4 has the same FOV as a 100mm. That FOV with 1.4 aperture and 1 stop more DOF is very nice for portraits.

The negatives are build quality, poor flash controls, and noise. Its just not built like the upper end Nikons that I have grown used to. On board flash control is in the menus and only allows + or - 2 ev. No manual settings which I prefer. Noise is better than P&S, on par with D2x.

I could go on and on. Feel free to PM me if you any questions.

19. You use it well. Beautiful children! Excellent exposures.

20. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.