*Italy and Coronavirus - READ IT*

I think masks do have a purpose, yet not what you may think of.
Masks prevent others from having your viruses spat straight in their face, rather than preventing you from single viruses floating in the air - unless they are FFP3 that is the type used by medical equipes.
@rick_reno uhm.. being in Venice and having no people around is unlikely.. usually it's a very crowded place - as well as Florence (less so for Bologna) - but with this particular situation your friend might be surrounded by crowds of scared and masked Japanese tourists ( :D ) who knows? Actually museums and churches have been closed in many regions and so are all events so anyone visiting Italy now could report like from being, say, in North Korea where apparently no one is around during the day. For sure less people around means we'll have better air for a while without forcing traffic limitations. Basically, just like in China, officials say "stay home don't exit unless you work for some emergency service / public utility"

I think the best defense against any virus is boosting your immune system the old fashion way through healthy diet and following proper hygiene habits. In fact I was mostly sick free all of the 2019. I think much of it was due to eating healthier and just being more physically active. I pretty much exercise 7 days a week now with lots of heavy lifting, cardio and high intensity interval training. I also do bouts of weight cutting, which builds a strong mental and physical fortitude. I eat my greens daily and avoid junk food, soda, empty carbs, etc. The human body is an amazing machine capable of adapting to whatever you throw at it. Now that I'm in my 40s I try to push my body even harder than ever, and it's mainly because I want to go into my 50s and 60s strong as an ox!

Last edited:
I think masks do have a purpose, yet not what you may think of.
Masks prevent others from having your viruses spat straight in their face, rather than preventing you from single viruses floating in the air - unless they are FFP3 that is the type used by medical equipes.
I think you are right Dino.
They also claim that many people spread the virus to themselves by touching something contaminated and then transferring it to their own mouth or nose. Think about how many times during the day you touch your face. If you have a mask on it will at least help protect that a little.

I think you are right Dino.
They also claim that many people spread the virus to themselves by touching something contaminated and then transferring it to their own mouth or nose. Think about how many times during the day you touch your face. If you have a mask on it will at least help protect that a little.
the average person touches their face 3000 times a day.

Last edited:
A former colleague just sent me this link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

He says, "This is probably the clearest, honest, and informative discussion of the coronavirus and the development of vaccines to fight it that I have read. It is factual, thoughtful, non-hysterical, and well written."
Thanks, done and shared.
However, really, over here the problem is mostly in people's mind. If you can avoid some mass hysteria, most of work is done. Don't worry, unless you have lung problems or are very old isn't probably hurting you.
On a single case basis, however, this stress test for the national health service can be good, since every now and then you can test everything is proceeding as fine as possible. We should take this experience into account for (sure) next time happening again. Thankfully it's not Ebola or the like.

FB_IMG_1582615764318.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the mortality rate according to age. Obviously the total isn't 100 because every single voice is already a percentage on people having that age.
As you see - thankfully children were not even touched and adults til 50 yrs are basically safe, with number raising after 70+ yrs with other diseases ongoing problems.

Some good news, France announced that they no longer have any patient infected with the virus. Only 1 passed away, all recovered.
From today's Liberation newspaper:
Alors que l'épidémie de coronavirus progresse en Europe, voici une bonne nouvelle en France. Le dernier patient qui était hospitalisé en France après avoir été infecté par la pneumonie virale est «guéri» et «a pu rentrer chez lui», a indiqué lundi soir le ministre de la Santé Olivier Véran. Ce dernier patient est l'un des six Britanniques (dont un enfant) contaminés par un compatriote de retour de Singapour qu'ils avaient côtoyé dans un chalet des Contamines-Montjoie (Haute-Savoie) fin janvier.

«Ce soir, il n'y a plus aucun malade hospitalisé en France, le dernier hospitalisé à Lyon est guéri, il n'est plus contagieux et a pu rentrer chez lui», a indiqué Olivier Véran lors de la conférence de presse quotidienne du ministère. «Il n'y a pas de malade identifié ce soir sur le territoire national» et «il n'y a ce soir pas de circulation du virus sur le territoire national», a-t-il poursuivi en précisant que la stratégie des autorités pour empêcher la propagation du virus était «adaptable et révisable à tout moment». Jusqu'à présent, douze cas d'infection au nouveau coronavirus ont été avérés dans l'Hexagone depuis fin janvier. Onze personnes ont été guéries et un patient, un touriste chinois de 80 ans, est décédé le 14 février.

Thanks, shared
For those having facebook, here's some samples of the psychosis that hit some towns in Northern Italy
The tents are from the protezione civile (kind of national guard yet not military) put before ER department to help with screening of patients that come to be tested for the virus - so they can do that safely without infecting other people inside the ER waiting room. The only place I recognize seems Rome (because of the ambulance with LAZIO - Latium written on top) and probably one of the supermarkets may be from Parma where I live, yet once they are empty they are all equal.

Some good news, France announced that they no longer have any patient infected with the virus. Only 1 passed away, all recovered.
From today's Liberation newspaper:
Alors que l'épidémie de coronavirus progresse en Europe, voici une bonne nouvelle en France. Le dernier patient qui était hospitalisé en France après avoir été infecté par la pneumonie virale est «guéri» et «a pu rentrer chez lui», a indiqué lundi soir le ministre de la Santé Olivier Véran. Ce dernier patient est l'un des six Britanniques (dont un enfant) contaminés par un compatriote de retour de Singapour qu'ils avaient côtoyé dans un chalet des Contamines-Montjoie (Haute-Savoie) fin janvier.

«Ce soir, il n'y a plus aucun malade hospitalisé en France, le dernier hospitalisé à Lyon est guéri, il n'est plus contagieux et a pu rentrer chez lui», a indiqué Olivier Véran lors de la conférence de presse quotidienne du ministère. «Il n'y a pas de malade identifié ce soir sur le territoire national» et «il n'y a ce soir pas de circulation du virus sur le territoire national», a-t-il poursuivi en précisant que la stratégie des autorités pour empêcher la propagation du virus était «adaptable et révisable à tout moment». Jusqu'à présent, douze cas d'infection au nouveau coronavirus ont été avérés dans l'Hexagone depuis fin janvier. Onze personnes ont été guéries et un patient, un touriste chinois de 80 ans, est décédé le 14 février.
Only one passed away and it was a Chinese tourist of 80 years old....Being said i totally disagree with : il n y a ce soir pas de circulation de virus sur le territoire that's a joke !!!

Only one passed away and it was a Chinese tourist of 80 years old....Being said i totally disagree with : il n y a ce soir pas de circulation de virus sur le territoire that's a joke !!!
The French government always had a firm control of its borders as far as infectious disease and contamination is concerned.
It did claim at the time that the Chernobyl cloud stopped at the German border.
I am not kidding.
But they obviously were lying.

It's now being reported that 2% of the people known to have contracted the coronavirus die compared to 0.1% of the people known to have contracted the flu. The detail that makes me wonder if that's important is that we never know how many people contract either the coronavirus or the flu. Those ratios of deaths to known contractions could be highly skewed.

Last edited:
Mike, well put. We do not really know, but that will not keep people from writing about it.
Statistics and randomness are difficult topics for the population at large to grasp. The less you know and understand the statistics, the more sure you are of your conclusions.
Is this a significant new viral disease that will be with us for years? Yes, we suspect it is.
How bad will it be? No one knows.
Should we plan for the worst and hope/pray for the best? Of coarse.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom